1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

downfall of automatic coop doors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by zippitydooda, Aug 15, 2011.

1. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Does anyone besides me think that they are missing out on tucking their little darlings "in" for the night by using an automatic door to the coop?

It would be handy in the morning (when I would like to sleep in but don't get to).....but I really like the routine of talking to & petting each one before closing up the coop. I love their sleepy noises.

[​IMG]

2. 53convert

53convert Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Central Oklahoma
    put a 2 way baby moniter in the coop then you can listen to the chicken hour and can really tell when something is amiss during the early morning hours.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Mine free range so I like to make sure everyones in bed and accounted for at night. I have read a few times on here about auto doors causing injuries and sometimes killing birds, that's another reason I wouldn't want one.

.. I also like petting them all and making sure the little ones are comfy [​IMG]

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My auto doors could close right on a chicken and not hurt them. I use mine more as backup. I can close the doors manually by hitting the button on the timer if I want and I always go out to close the run doors and to make sure everyone is 'tucked in'. But the auto door is more for when I get home late and it's already dark - I know that the pop door will be closed and hopefully they will all be safe.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    My chickens are just in my backyard, so it's easy for me to put the door down and pull it up, plus I like the routine of it (I'll remind myself of that tomorrow at 6 am [​IMG] ), but I guess if my coop was a ways away and the weather was severe enough, or I had a broken leg or something, I can totally see the usefulness of an auto door. I always wondered, though, about possible injuries...

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Here is one of my doors..

[​IMG]

It's a piece of plywood that drops verrrrrry slowly. There's a frame on the outside to prevent an animal from prying it up. I love it! Even if the chicken just sat under the door it would not hurt her. Of course, the door won't close either. [​IMG]

I have mine since we get a lot of snow, I have spread out coops, and I sometimes am forced to come in after dark in the winter. But I always go check on them anyways. [​IMG]

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    featherz, you totally have a situation that makes auto doors super smart. We never have very extreme weather in the PNW. That's cool that the door goes down slowly. I never knew how that worked. And your birds are beautiful [​IMG]

8. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:Like you I don't necessarily mind putting them in at night, but getting up at 5:00 am to stop their squawking in the summer is not my idea of a good time. Automatic door is one of the best investments I've ever made.

I have the same setup as featherz. Here's a video of my door:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  9. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    I think an automatic coop door would be wonderful....but here are my questions. What happens when it snows so much that the door can't close all the way. What happens when the kick the bedding all around and it gets in the way of the door closing all the way. These are the 2 main reasons I don't have one. So enlighten me.

I'm the one out there in the middle of the blizzard, with my heavy duty putty knife, chiseling at the snow/bedding/ice to clear it away so I can close the door, until after a few days of this, I say sorry girls, but you're closed up til the weather lets up.

This happens when it's nice and toasty in the coop, but not at the door...

My opinion is that I would still have to go out in the middle of a blizzard and make sure the door closed up tight.

I have this problem in the summer also, but at least it's not frozen. Just have to brush the shavings away so the door will close tightly.

10. rjlanger2

rjlanger2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Central Texas
    I think the decision of automatic vs manual doors depends on whether you free range and how comfortable you are with the security of the run. I have chosen not to free range because of the number of predators. I feel the run is adequately secure. I have a sliding door that is manually operated. Most of the time, it is open and they come and go as they please. If it's cold, I'll close the door at dusk and "lock" them in overnight. That usually means there's a heat lamp on so I would have closed the door anyway to keep the heat in.

I know there's many that use an automatic door, and many that don't. I keep hearing how enjoyable many find tucking everyone in at night. In that case, you probably don't need an auto door. I think it's a preference - like driving an automatic vs a stick. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by