Downsized Quail Breeder Cages & Jumbo Weights

PurpleChicken

Rest in Peace 1970-2018
12 Years
Apr 6, 2007
Iceland
As I continue to downsize my flocks the quail got their turn tonight.

I weighed all of them and kept the hens over 10oz and kept 2 males
at 8.5oz. Now I have 2 breeder cages with 1 roo and 5 hens each.

How much does a Jumbo Coturnix weigh???

Also, as I come to the harsh realization that my fchicken flock is infected with CRD
(MG) I'm concerned my quail may have it too although they have shown no
signs. Any thoughts?

hugs.gif
sorry about your birds... I would just try to keep the birds separate since they are in cages and not on the ground I would think it is less likely they picked it up...

As for Jumbo's size I've read that they can be up to 16oz but I have never seen one that big... My A&M's are about 10oz I'm working to get them bigger... I think monarc has a bird that is 13 oz!

I actutally have two that are 13 oz if I'm not mistaken
celebrate.gif
however some have bigger.....or they say they do on their websites. Hoping to get from a ligit breeder someday!
big_smile.png

PC, as for your issue, I need to look up what this illness is that you speak of. However, I will tell you flat out now, that MANY of the illnesses chickens get, quails get too HOWEVER it's NOT the SAME illness. So like chickens cant give it to quails and quails can't give it to chickens. I dont know for this specific illness but I will learn about it online and get back to you on it.
smile.png
I'm no expert in this area by far, but I have read through these issues before.

If I were you, when you can get bigger roos, move out those smaller roos you're keeping.
smile.png
That's my only advice as far as weights goes, just keep keeping bigger.
smile.png
Bigger hens lay bigger eggs too (in my experience).

I'msorry it took me so long to get to this, around 8 i started not feeling well so i took a nap and now here i am again wide awake and feeling fine LOL!

EDITED TO ADD.....DUH... this is the common illness that people deal with in chickens when things get crappy. I'm sorry PC I hope you can fix them all up
fl.gif

However, now that I know what it is, quails cannot get the same strain as chickens. So I think your quails are fine. Just keep an eye on them for any signs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom