Dozen egg prices?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bossdog004, Feb 17, 2009.

1. bossdog004

bossdog004 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2007
    Tampa, FL
    What do you guys charge for a dozen free range eggs?

Getting too many eggs and people down the street are wantin to buy some?

Thanks!

2. LVVCHAP

LVVCHAP Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    PA
    I've been told that $2.00 is a fair price. That is what I have been charging for my extras and no one is complaining.

3. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    I charge $2.50 a dozen. We are about an hour north of you.

Annika

4. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    1.25 a dozen and they bring the cartons back. I also don't wash the eggs and tell people they need to wash them (I wipe off "chunks"). That way they will last a little longer since the bloom is still on them. And I don't have to worry about dropping them in the sink! Butter fingers. [​IMG]

5. DeeTee

DeeTee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Desbarats, Ontario
    After much deliberation I decided to try $3 per dozen since free range brown eggs sell for that at the local grocery store.

Only one person ever made a comment that it was expensive. Still another said she would gladly pay more. Demand for my eggs far outstrips the supply, so I am happy. I also spent a little time educating my customers (coworkers and neighbors) about what they were getting for their money. At $3 I can pay for my feed and I eat eggs for free....

BTW, I second Mistylady's point. Great idea to teach them about bloom and deliver the eggs as "natural" as possible. Besides being a great way to deliver the freshest, tastiest eggs, it allows you to deliver a product that can't be purchased in a store.

You will likely find that once you convert a few people from store-bought eggs to your eggs, word of mouth will do the rest.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  6. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I charge $2.00 a dozen, and all my customers recycle the cartons. I was going to raise my rates because grocery-store eggs had gotten so expensive, but prices have fallen lately.

Kathy in Texas

7. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I get $3 a dozen. Pretty good demand too [​IMG]

8. Kansas Chicken Mama

Kansas Chicken Mama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2008
    St. Paul
    I get $1.50 a dozen and most are friends and coworkers that bring me the cartons. Works for me.

9. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I also get $1.50 a dozen.

10. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I charge $2.00 a dozen. I want to stay a little above the grocery price. The last I looked they were $1.78 for large brown eggs. Mine aren't free range though. I keep my chickens cooped. If I had free range eggs I think I'd charge more like $3.00/dz.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by