Dr. Chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by creekrocket, May 10, 2011.

1. creekrocket

creekrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Savannah, Ga
    Im getting ready to build a coop and get several chickens for the first time. Reading some of the posts in this forum has kind of got me thinking, 'do I really wanna deal with having to give chickens shots, and worry about if they are going to catch some crazy disease that I cant even pronounce correctly....'. A little help ya'll.? [​IMG] Am I about to get into something more complicated than it seems?

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If it's something you feel strongly about.....yes. Depending on what you want them for, how many, etc. keeping chickens, for the most part, is extremely enjoyable. Of course, I can only speak for myself, I have 23 chickens. 1 roo and 22 hens. When you keep the coop clean, offer fresh food and water daily, don't introduce new poultry without quarantining first, keep your number manageable, keep them predator safe, there are usually not many problems. But even if you do everything perfectly, problems do arise as with any pet/animal. There are things that can come up that are just out of your control. It is work to keep poultry healthy and happy but, to me, well worth it. BYC is a perfect website to find answers to everything that comes up housing, health, treatments, treats, etc.
    I personally get waaaaay more pleasure from my birds than heartache. Good luck with your choice.

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    welcome. If you start your adventure by reading this section you are sure to be scared off, this section is about disease only, so you see alot of nasty stuff, that being said, this is a great section to learn alot about hens before you get them. Use it as a way of knowing what to look for. If you keep your hens safe, clean coop with plenty of room, more room than they state in my opinion, fresh water always and good feed always they should be fine. I recommend giving your hens some electrolyte solution in there water at least once a week for good health. Chickens can be alot of work, but they are worth it in my opinion, I just love my girls, they are so much fun to have around. You can learn alot from a chicken and they provide me with a sence of peace. having chickens has been a great experience for me. My breeds are friendly, Buff Orphingtons and barred rocks. good luck to you

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If you are buying chicks from a hatchery they usually offer vaccinations for an extra fee. Even when I bought some locally the guy vaccinated them for me. Some diseases like Marek's have to be done as day-old chicks, so I think it is worth it. I am a nurse and can give shots, but I would find it overwhelming to give my 38 chicks multiple shots, and some yearly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by