Dr. Doodle Doodle Doo Doo...

sjpi1954

In the Brooder
May 21, 2018
Good Morning from Pensacola,

I'm JP and all of my life I've wanted to have my own Chickens. So why in the world would a 63 year old Senior Bachelor with his own subdivision spread want to do something as crazy and becoming a Chicken Farmer? Easy answer...

I have a Harley in the garage and over the years people will often come up and ask 'Why do you ride a Harley Davidson Motorcycle?' The answer has always been 'If I have to explain you wouldn't understand.'

3 Weeks ago I visited a guy I used to fly with in the Gulf of Mexico. We were standing out in the shade of the front yard listening to all the Roosters singing Revile. He had just gotten 2 Baby Chicks from Tractor Supply and they were now about a month old and running around the back yard. He had a nice little Coop for them and they would actually come to him when he called them.

Little did I know that a fire had been lit and that day I ordered my Minimum Leghorn Hens from TSC. Apparently they stop selling them in the stores on 30 April here in NW Florida. However, their website made everything go very smoothly. That was the easy and smooth part...

I will continue the story on a separate post. I do want to end this Newbie post with a sincere Thank You to the entire Back Yard Chickens Staff and Volunteers for creating an awesome website in every regard.

JP

Hello JP and welcome to BYC.

Hi and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

:frowHi there JP, welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you got bitten by the bug my friend. :celebrate
Your chicken journey will be so rewarding.

My husband indulged me in my lifelong desire to be a chicken keeper.
Little did he know how much he’d receive from them.

Every day he comes home from work, pets the dogs, changes his clothes and rushes out the back door to spend time with “the girls”.
:lau
He reports that they decompress him from his stressful job far better than an “adult beverage” !

Back
Top Bottom