dr seuss style egg collecting contraption...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mchandler, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mchandler

mchandler New Egg

Mar 15, 2011
    i searched for a couple things like "egg collecting tube", "egg collector",etc and couldnt really find what im looking for as far as ideas...

I have a 7 x 10 coop for 12 chickens (4 red star, 2 white leghorns and 6 austrolorpes. They are all between 10-12 weeks old (recently got them). I am now building the nest box and want to build some sort of contraption where the eggs roll to the back of the nesting box (from here on NB), down a tube and collect in a bin near the door. or maybe just stay at the end of the tube that that ends near the door so i don't have to go in. I've seen how some people have drawers or have the NBs stick out the side but I'm more worried about water (from rain and whatnot). I don't mind spending a bit of money and I have access to hydrolics, motors, actuators, sensors and automation equipment.

Do you guys think I'm nuts? My dad said I was crazy, but I think i can turn this in to a fun project...just need some collective bright ideas from the community and I'll build something...not sure what yet. Looking maybe for more gravity fed ideas but I am open to really anything at this point, so throw something out there, I just might do it!

Thanks,
    Matt

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    You could do it I guess but if there was a pile up of eggs at the collecting spot and an egg came flying down the tube.... Well it just seems like it would equal a lot of smashed eggs to me [​IMG]
    I like going into the coop and having a little egg hunt/searching in the nesting boxes. Its one of fun parts of doing the chicken chores, I love it.
    But if you made this thing and pulled it off then that would be great. And I'm sure a lot of people here would love to use your invention [​IMG]

3. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    I just built the floor of my nesting boxes on an angle so the eggs roll down toward the outside access door. My girls haven't laid any eggs yet, but I tried it with an egg I had in the 'fridge and it worked.

4. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    There is something like that that I read about. I think it was called a European Nest Box. (Google it.) Taken to the extreme it's combined with a mechanism to close a door on the nest box when the chicken enters, when the egg drops it signals someone who can mark the egg with an ID of the hen, then the hen is released. They REALLY want to know which hen lays which egg! Anyway, you're not crazy and it might be fun. I think I'd put some type of springy material on the spot where the egg drops. I'm thinking of the stuff my door mat is made of. It's flexible plastic spikey things that have a little bit of curvature. They're kind of springy. Does that make sense? They don't get soggy from the rain either. Have fun, and good luck!

5. Braxton

Braxton Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    united states
    Thanks...for ....sharing.........

6. Smoosh

Smoosh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    i am very interested in seeing how this turns out [​IMG]

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang movie have that neat contraption going from nest? railing all the way down to the skillet. Neato!

8. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    hmmmm sounds interesting!!! [​IMG]

9. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    If you can figure it out, I'd love to see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by