1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. poultry pappa

poultry pappa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    Western Ky
    I've built this brooder for about zero dollars, it's 2'tall and 4'long, 20"wide (an old wardrobe box). I elevated the heat lamp in a 12x12" enclosure I call the chimney. The top is covered with an old mesh screen. The box is divided with heat on the right and sunlight on the left. I figure the temp variations are ok since the hens can travel closer or further from the lamp, but I'm trying to stick to the 5°/week rule. It's in the garage (not heated, but closed most of the day. I wonder if I need to cover the screen and block the sunlight in order to further prevent drafts, or are 2' walls enough?[​IMG]

2. poultry pappa

Feb 22, 2015
    Western Ky
    [​IMG]

Here's the original "artists rendition"

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

You only need to keep drafts away, if it looks good to you, most likely it will be. Watch the chicks, they will tell you if they are cold or hot, happy or not. It does not take long to learn the sound of content birds, and the sound of trouble. I use heat lamps, but I am very cautious with them. Every year in my county we lose two or more barns, sheds, garages to heat lamp caused fire. That chimney you have, though an innovative design and a cool idea, looks too close to the lamp reflector. Eighteen inches is the closest i have any comfort, in placing a device such as you show. So, if you would consider doing a bit of a redesign… I would feel better for you and yours. Only you can be the judge, I am not an extremist, just a thoughtful thought in passing.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

By the way…
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. poultry pappa

Feb 22, 2015
    Western Ky
    You know, that's just good wisdom. I appreciate that. I have two kids and a momma hen who also appreciate it! I didn't think about the heat lamp getting hot enough to cause a fire - maybe add some heat resistant insulation to the inside, or just make the chimney bigger. I'll definitely prevent that fire from ever starting - Thanks again!

5. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

I would be a person whom very much dislikes 'help' with things that I have under control, and fully understand the risks involved with such unwanted input. But I just could not just move on to the next thread, and leave this one without a word of caution. So my thanks to you for not giving me my head… I have seen compact florescent bulbs, heat a backing of R-13 insulation to a blacked charr. These red light are very hot, and they seem to store heat in nearby items, to the point of combustion.

Best to you, and yours,

RJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by