1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Clems Girls

Clems Girls Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Australia
    My Coop
    hi, its mid winter at the moment and after covering up my coops open windows the inside of my coop is still quite breezy and one of my silkies seem to have caught a cold, are there any products i could use to seal cracks or any ways of heating up my coop that i could purchase???

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How breezy and how cold?
    Ventilation is much more important than heat...check out the article linked in my signature on Ventilation.
    As long as the birds feathers are not ruffled(literally) while on the roost some air movement is good.

If your bird has a respiratory illness
    .....which are caused by bacteria or virus, not 'breezy' coops......
    an antibiotic might be in order.

Illnesses can be more readily spread in a coop that does not have good ventilation.

3. Clems Girls

Clems Girls Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2015
    Australia
    My Coop
    shes been sneezing often which is why i thought it was a cold not respiratory related, as for how cold... it gets to around 3 degrees celsius minimum at nights but from trying to look after the sick one we realized a few of the chooks were shivering

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by