Dragonlili, please read.TN Law the new BIG BROTHER!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by countrygirl4513, Sep 22, 2007.

1. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Okay I saw this on the news last night and nearly fell over!!!! http://www.wztv.com/cgi-bin/csNews.cgi?database=FOX%2017%20News%20headlines%2edb&command=viewone&id=5216&op=t
    The
    part I want to stress is at the end of the article the last sentence. I live on the Ky state line. I work there, shop there, eat there and buy big ticket items there, when I need them. We have recently had a Lowes open 3 miles from the state line. There is also a big Walmart and more stores too.The reason they put it there was because of all the TN shoppers. It only makes since to do that for them... more $$$$ to be earned. But my gosh!!! [​IMG] For them to say they are gonna sit and scope out TN shoppers and nail them,what's next? Are they gonna tax us for going to the bathroom in Ky too? [​IMG]
    I have the right as a citizen, to have freedom of choice to shop where and when I want to, for whatever I want. It makes no sense for me to drive 45 miles to Nashville when I live right next door to Ky. (5 miles to be exact) What's next for us poor Tuckeseans? If they have probable cause to come into my house to count cigarette cartons or fine me for a washer and dryer that I bought in KY, does that mean I've lost my rights as a free person? Looks that way to me!! In my opinion TN is becoming the new Big Brother, next they will make us put cameras in our homes so they can watch our every move!!!!!! I'm livid about this!!!!!! Comments please, am I over reacting?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Eh, don't worry about it. People along the Washington Oregon border go to Oregon to buy stuff tax free and are supposed to pay that tax during tax time for all the stuff they bought across the border since OR has income and not sales tax... I bet you'll be fine. It's the 18 year old kids looking like they are 15 still who might get busted cuz they don't normally card if you look old enough... at least here. Becides, anyone older who's been smoking that long will look older than the "card if you look under 30 group".

3. countrygirl4513

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Oh no, on the actual news cast they said the tax man would be sitting and looking for TN license plates. I don't think it's gonna matter what age if that's the case.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Quote:I agree with countrygirl4513, it is not an age issue.

They are whining about the amount of money the state is loosing because people are buying outside the state.

They recently changed the beer laws here also. If you buy beer, no matter what your age, you must show your drivers license or state ID to purchase it.

They've also changed the way they do the lottery here now and there have been 3 mess ups in the last month...which they are also whining about right now...[​IMG]

Dawn

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I still wouldn't worry too much, they can't stop everyone and you can't stop people from visiting neighbors! News is a bunch of scare tactics but I doubt it's gong to be enforced.

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I can understand the cigarette thing if your buying cases at a time. I think it is funny what approach each state takes, I live 3 miles from Delaware(the home of tax free shopping) and that is where I do all of my shopping. MD is raising thier tax to 6% and like you the closest MD Sears, Pennys, lowes, etc is almost 40 miles and across a bridge that I would have to pay toll on to return home so taxed and tolled for shopping in home state. Delaware goes as far as advertising on Billboards, newspaper, and radio spots that they are the home of TAX FREE shopping. If you go to the Christianna Mall you will see plates from PA, NJ, MD etc..6, 5 soon to be 6, and 6-7% depending on the county taxes.
    Cigarette taxes are worse, not sure of costs now, but I know there have been bust of van/truck loads of NC cigeretes around 2.50 per pack being taken to NJ/NY where the price is around $7 per pack.

Taxes on cars here are collected when you register the car so i would assume it doesn't matter what state you get vehicles in you will end up paying taxes art registration time. Then again we did just have a sting operation in the apartment complexes here of people maintaining registrtation in DE, so they didn't have to pay MD taxes on cars.

7. countrygirl4513

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I do know if they have this much time on their hands to come up with this stupid law, they will have the time to enforce it. Don't we have the right as a free citizen to choose where, when and how we purchase. TN is just wanting their dang money, as if they don't get enough of it. I just dare them to nail me for it, do I smell civil lawsuit?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  8. countrygirl4513

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    I can understand nailing the bootleggers as far as cigartettes go, but to nail us law abiding citizens for buying a refrigerator in Ky is going to extremes!

9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I didn't see about changing beer laws, that is the one thing we do have lower than local states, and we allow sales on sunday, so every Sunday( after church) there is a stream of DE cars filling up the liquer stores to stock up on beer for thie week. Also we have no bottle return deposit, so you dnt have to save bottles to get your nickle back.

10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Md comptroller is trying to figure how to get taxes on anything ordered on line too. Which would require everyone that sells products to file claims with every state that htey send products to. I know they stated we loose lots of tax revenue to online and out of state sales, I say if the neighboring state can do without as much tax why cant we and I will continue to buy where it saves the most in my pocket.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by