Drainage and cleaning...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Trevorusn, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Trevorusn

Trevorusn Chirping

Apr 15, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Howdy. So this is week 2 of having our chicks outside in the coop. Our coop is from TSC and we used pressure treated 2x6s for flooring to prevent digging predators from coming in. However, in cleaning the flooring weekly we are seeing that after hosing and pushing out the coop, the dirty water does not drain quickly. 20190615_152439.jpg 20190615_152418.jpg I clean it while the chicks free range, and so far have only the wood as flooring. I'm curious in what methods folks are using for efficient drainage while still keeping out predators. Also, I just read up on using river sand for flooring, would this be far better and more sanitary than keeping the bare wood and pressure washing??

Susan Dye likes this.
  2. Trevorusn

Trevorusn Chirping

Apr 15, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Also, I use wood shavings for the roost/laying area, would sand be ok there too or just stick to shavings? 20190615_153931.jpg 20190615_153927.jpg

Susan Dye likes this.
  3. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If predators are a concern, a welded wire or hardware cloth apron outside the coop is a better option. Runs shouldn't be hosed out (the one exception might be a concrete floor) because moisture + poop = smell and increased bacterial growth. You can use sand or wood shavings as bedding instead, but keeping things dry is the goal.

Inside the coop you can try sand if you want or continue with the shavings (I don't use either so I can't weigh in on that).

4. TadsMinion

TadsMinion Chirping

Jun 10, 2019
    North Coast , Cakifornia
    I think we have the exact same coop for temporary housing until the big hen & silkie palace, uh....coop and run are finished.
    We dug out a level area and added about 8 in of gravel, next a bottom frame of pressure treated wood with hardware cloth stapled to the very bottom. We then set the coop on the frame , screwed it down and added sand for flooring. So far it is working well but it has only been a week. Where we live lots and lots of rain plus sea air make things flood,rust and rot quicker than in other climates. Also sand is easy to get here , just need to dig under the topsoil and free sand!
    I don't know if will stink, I rake it out every day but drainage should be good. I am using shavings in the coop part right now but plan on trying sand and zeolite.
    Good luck with your coop and chicks.

5. SimplyLivinthatFarmLife

SimplyLivinthatFarmLife Crowing

Jul 17, 2017
    Georgia
    I use pine shavings in my coop and river sand in the runs. Works great!

6. Trevorusn

Trevorusn Chirping

Apr 15, 2019
    New Hampshire
    From what I've read sand seems to be best for the run area. If I understand correctly, it basically cleans like cat litter and helps keep things dry as well as provide a good dust bath. Would it be ok to mix food grade DE into the sand??? Would that affect ease of cleaning and help inhibit bacterial/pest growth??

Susan Dye likes this.
  7. Trevorusn

Trevorusn Chirping

Apr 15, 2019
    New Hampshire
    How often do you clean out and replace the sand??

Susan Dye likes this.
  8. SimplyLivinthatFarmLife

Jul 17, 2017
    Georgia
    I don't replace the sand, I just turn it over. Do you have access to river sand?

Susan Dye and Trevorusn like this.
  9. SimplyLivinthatFarmLife

Jul 17, 2017
    Georgia
    I use DE in the run as well as the coop when I change out the shavings or if I see ants.

Susan Dye likes this.
  10. Trevorusn

Trevorusn Chirping

Apr 15, 2019
    New Hampshire
    Honestly not sure. Until yesterday never even knew I could use it so I'll be on the hunt for that and the DE. This has been extremely helpful!

Susan Dye likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: