Drainage Holes for DLM in small coop w/ wood floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OMD, Sep 22, 2009.

1. OMD

OMD New Egg

Apr 10, 2009
    Just finishing a raised coop design and am wondering if I should add drainage holes on floor when using Deep Litter Method?

2. MusicMan

MusicMan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Kentucky Lake area
    I don't actually use DLM but have read alot about it on this site. My understanding is that if you use DE (Diatomacious Earth), that will keep everything very dry, and you won't have to worry about moisture. From what I have read dust is actually more of a problem. I personally would not put any drain holes in, just make sure to use DE, or Stall Dry, which is DE and clay.

Hope this helps,
    MusicMan

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    That would be no, but put vinyl on the floor under the litter--you will love how easy it is to clean. Get the "poop" color..[​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If your litter gets so wet yo need drainage holes then something is very wrong and you're likely to start having chicken health problems. Definitely no drainage holes.

Be aware that what you can do in terms of deep litter is different in a small coop with a wood floor than it is in a large earth- or concrete-floored coop. There is no such thing as "the" deep litter method, there are a whole wide variety of management tactics than involve a deepness of litter-- use what is best for your particular coop, not something you read about that works for someone else's setup but doesn't really relate to your own.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by