Draining a swollen belly Qs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mickeymousears, Aug 28, 2013.

1. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    What I thought was a stuck egg, im now thinking is ascites. Either way I think I need to relieve some of the pressure in her belly.

I have a bunch of the tiny diabetic syringes- I believe they are 10ml short needles (maybe a 30gauge) will these work? I have 1 larger needle I was using to draw up the calcium.

Just under her ribs feels squishy, back by the vent feels hard- should I aim for the soft part?

Any clue what else I can do for her? I've given her 2 doses of calcium/nutri-drench, multiple baths/massage, I gave her 1/2 a low dose aspirin a few hours ago. She's eating little bits of treats here and there. Her energy is way down but she still will walk around and check things out. Her face is still bright red (no blue at all). Last night I could swear I felt a hard round object floating around BELOW the vent from the outside (I felt nothing from the inside). She is leaking clear fluid and pooping some. 2.5year old RIR.
    I'm desperate here- no vets in the area see chickens :(

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes rather than ascites they can have a large fluid-filled ovarian cyst. SpeckledHen who used to be a moderator has posted quite a bit in the past about her hens with egg yolk peritonitis and ascites. You might look up some of her posts.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
  5. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Ok now I'm scared to do it- ppl said their hens died while draining. Maybe I can convince some vet tomorrow to help me.
    Looking up fluid filled cyst

6. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    If it is Ascites it will kill her if left untreated. If you treat her yourself you can kill her if you hit something wrong. If you can get a vet to treat her your odds are much better. Because there are 2 possible problems, I would research both and see what fits her the best than talk to a vet. Vets are expensive that is why a lot of us treat them ourselves. Being unsure leads to mistakes. Not all vets know about birds. Check with your local humane society to see if they do. In this case you need to get as much information as possible before treating.

7. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    There's only one avian vet in this area (I worked with him once upon a time and he treats my parrot). I took this chicken in a few months ago and he was unwilling to give her any meds because she was a production animal- he wasn't shy about charging me for the visit tho.
    I know he'll do an X-ray- and would prob attempt a surgery for the right price...but what's her chances?? If I knew she would get the proper help (regardless of being a production animal) I wouldn't bat an eye. Now I feel like I'll pay for the exam and X-ray (which is $200-$300) and be no better off than I am now. He's going to attempt surgery without antibiotics??? If her time is limited anyways I would rather her last moments were peaceful, at home with her family rather than terrified in the car/vet office with strangers poking and prodding her.
    I'm so torn :(. I love this little chicken.

1 person likes this.
  8. foreverlearning

Aug 4, 2013
    With either condition it will reoccur, some within months some have reported years between. He may not need to x-ray, most vets should be able to feel either outside or by vent exam. It is up to you if you see him or not but if you do see him and have her treated pay close attention to what he is doing and how so you can repeat the treatment if needed. A lot of our losses with treating at home is because we have not seen it done in person before and it is a last ditch effort to save their lives. Antibiotics with surgery are needed to prevent infection, however you don't always need them for draining and they can be found cheaper over the counter at TSC than at any vet. Honey is also a natural antibiotic.

9. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Ok I gave her another aspirin and some nutri-drench. Her butt is now red and hot :( -i turned off her heater
    I did attempt to drain with my tiny diabetic needle- it did nothing. I'm going to call him in the morning and try to get her in. husband is fighting me but it's not fair to leave her like this- we can argue it out later.
    I hope she makes it thru another night :( this poor sweet girl. She is the most cuddly chicken you'll ever meet :(

10. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    What is TSC???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by