Drake and 17 week old babies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gofasterstripe, Dec 12, 2010.

1. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to start in the New Year to split my ducks into breed flocks. 1 flock will have my Pekin and Pekin mixes with my white Magpie, the other flock will be my Runners...along with sly my Jumbo Pekin with my Runner drake. My babies arent laying yet but are letting the drake do the deed with them...I have a bunch of randy little runner girls that are shaking booty at the drake every 5 minutes. Im only keeping Sly with the runners coz I dont want to split her away from all her sisters and put her in with the big ducks (even tho she is bigger than all of them) plus she doesnt like the Maggie drake and kicks his booty but will let the Runner do it with her. My dilema is....if I split them now before the babies are laying Finn will still get some hanky panky with them and William will get the big girls who 5 out of the 8 are laying already, BUT...will Finn be OK with the teenagers even tho they are not laying, what im trying to say is William will have adults while Finn will have teenagers and will he be satisfied with that............OR should I wait untill the babies are laying then split them up.

2. Quacking

Quacking Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    The boys will be happy with whatever girls you put with them. I have found my drakes will sometimes favor certain ducks over others if I have too many girls in with him, but since I regularly rotate my ducks through with different drakes I have not noticed any noticeable difference in fertility in the eggs. You dont have to wait until the girl are laying to split them, the drakes dont seem to know the difference between a laying duck and a randy duck. [​IMG] Or chook or dog or gumboot at times too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by