Drake and ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DanceswLabs, Oct 28, 2010.

1. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I have my seven two-week-old runners outside today. I sat in the grass and they played around my legs. They enjoyed nibbling the grass and my legs, and they knew to stay right by me. After a while, my drake and hen (they are the parents, but they don't know it) waddled by, and Dewey (the drake) was really interested in the ducklings. He kept circling me and checking them out. He didn't come close enough for me to touch (I have never been able to touch him....he was an adult when I got him and not socialized), but he was so curious. I would not have let him get any closer to the babies, because I was afraid he might hurt them. Is it possible his interest is not aggressive? Or is he scoping out the competition?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Oh no they are all intruders into this zone. He will hurt and kill them, if you let him. You cannot put them together unless they are 12 weeks old.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Quote:I have different drakes that both applies to.

Some of my drakes are very gentle and actively take part in raising ducklings- but others I have to segregate from the time the duck goes broody. I currently have one drake who is wonderful with my young ducklings ( up to three weeks of age) but when I let my 14 week old girls out to freerange he will go for them straight away. It all depends on the temperment ( and hormones ) of the particular drake- but to be on the safe side it is always better not to leave any young duck unattended with a drake you are unsure of.

4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Both my drakes were very protective of their ducklings and even the rooster kept an eye on them, keeping the dogs away (which the drakes cannot do).

5. DanceswLabs

DanceswLabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Wake County, NC
    I will definitely continue to keep them separated. I am too new to ducks to read his intentions. It is funny to see how interested he is. The female is completely uninterested in them.

BTW, I am totally in love with these ducklings. I had no idea they would affect me as they have. I was thinking that I would sell 3-4 of them and add some of other colors in the spring. But, I am finding that the thought of parting with any of them distresses me! That is saying something about their sweetness, because they are the dirtiest little critters I have ever taken care of!!!

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Quote:That's what I'm worried about when I get my own ducklings (or if I get any). I was thinking of raising some ducks for meat, but I know I'm going to get too attached to them to cull them. I have gotten attached to so many of the wild ducklings I've watched grow up this year.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I was just thinking and almost all the ducklings at our lake left their mothers/siblings between four and five weeks old and joined the general flock. Aside from a little pecking (and one drake being slightly aggressive to an older teenage duck later on), none of the drakes seemed to care about the younger ducks. I know that it's been suggested that ducklings be introduced at 12 weeks, but I wonder why the wild ones don't have so much of a problem with the drakes there at that lake.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Yep, you have been sucked in by cute, soft, fuzzy, webbed-footed, long billed heart stealers!
    Ducks are wonderful. Mine wish I would lose interest and leave them alone-hate to tell them, that ain't gonna happen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by