drake and rooster "legless"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by monty 3, Mar 18, 2013.

1. monty 3

monty 3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2012
    about 2 weeks ago my rooster started to struggle on his legs, take a few paces and then fall over. he hasn't gotten any worse but certainly he's no better, though still eating and drinking (no interest in hen though). just been down to give his legs an oil dip (just incase he has mites) and the drake is suffering in the same way now.....3/4 paces and then down.....what on earth is ailing them do you think?

2. monty 3

Mar 13, 2012
    the drake died 6 days ago i'm sorry to say. his mate is now ailing in the same way. i've brought her indoors and she's drinking but not eating. the rooster is still going but not improving. any help would be much appreciated. thanks

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know off hand. Is it cold enough for them to be getting frost bite? What type of feed are they on? Do they free range, could they have gotten into anything pesticide/poison?

ETA: Does it seem painful to walk or is it more on the order or lack of balance?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  4. monty 3

Mar 13, 2012
    it wasn't cold enough when the drake or rooster first ailed, certainly it is now, we've had heavy snow which is why i brought her in (the rooster is in the green house which is warm enough). they are all on mixed corn and they are free range. we don't use pesticides in the garden and they can't get out of our garden to find it elsewhere. i would say it is lack of balance. i've given the duck a good looking at and a feel and she doesn't seen to mind being handled so i'm guessing she's not in pain. her feet have now curled up beneath her and they are totally useless.

5. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I am certainly no expert but it sounds like a vitamen deficiency (sp) perhaps. If they are only getting corn and winter free range, there is not a wide variety of foods for them. I hope someone with more experience chimes in but that is my best guess. Perhaps try giving them some Poly vita sol (childrens liquid vitamens found at any wal-mart or drug store). I would also give them some plain yogurt and see about getting some regular all flock chicken/duck feed for them.

Good luck![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by