Drake Attacking Other Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Violet22, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    In May I got what was supposed to be 2 female Welsh Harlequins, 2 female Runners, 1 female Golden White Layer and 1 Male Golden White Layer. Well, it turns out one of the Welsh's is a drake and he is attacking my other drake...pulling out the feathers, and bringing him down to his knees. These are my first ducks so I need to know what to do. Is this a temporary thing establishing a pecking order, or is this going to go on. I am really afraid the one is going to hurt the other badly.
    I can separate them now, but what should I do for the long term. I would hate to keep him by himself for the rest of his life, I'd rather find another place for him. I don't have much tolerance for bullies, so I guess I just need to know if this is normal and soon there will be peace or if I need to get rid of him. Their pen is about 1,000 square feet, so I don't think space is the issue.
    Thank you!

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It is a pecking order thing. It SHOULD sort itself out, but keep an eye on them.

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:No, it is more likely a case of dominance or pecking order. usually once a drake has established himself as superior the other drake learns to avoid conflict by backing down to the 'boss' drake and the fights become rare, usually caused by the inferior getting involved with one of the females. Sometimes the inferior drake is driven off or killed to end the conflict. I Know no way to predict what will happen between your two drakes. Seperation will just put off the problem and should only be done if the looser has lost some mobility so he can not run from a fight. If you have to get rid of one keep the superior drake and dispose of the looser. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

4. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I had to rehome my one drake. He just wouldn't let up on the other drake. He also was abusing my chickens. Good luck

5. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My drakes used todo that. But it was a lil different here since on is 10 and the other not even a year. It just swat the youngone and pick up the old guy. Now they each have enough girls though that its not really a problrm.

6. Violet22

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    Thanks everyone! I thought I wouldn't have any problems until spring...guess I was wrong! Since these are my first ducks, and I am not going to breed them, can I keep the loser duck...... I know the other duck is just being a duck, and would be a better protector and breeder, but just for a pet, can I keep the nicer one? [​IMG] The aggressive one is a nice duck to me, when I caught him today, he didn't fuss at all, but I prefer the White Layer.
    I did separate him, my other duck could hardly get off the ground to move. When the other attacked, he would just sit there. I don't see any real visible signs of injury, just a lot of missing feathers, but no blood or hurt legs thank goodness.
    Caroline

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Of course you can keep either drake or none at all if you are not going to breed them! I jumped to the conslusion that you were going to breed because you ordered a drake in the first place. BTW have you ever seen ducks breeding? It always looks brutal and you will think the drake is drowning the duck if done on water. It looks like rape even if the duck wants it and flirts for the action. Maybe you should get rid of both of the drakes.....

8. Violet22

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    I went around and around about what sex ducks to get...all one sex, or mixed.....I can't remember exactly how I made up my mind, but I thought one drake and 5 females would be a good set. I read all about the breeding before I got them, it was an eye opener, I had no idea ducks could be so brutal. I think I can deal with that, as I know it's normal, and I realize males fighting is normal, and I can handle a certain amount of squabbling, but when one is down and the other keeps going at it, I can't deal with that. I'll keep the one and see what happens. If he does get out of hand or heaven forbid, drowns a female, I don't mind separating him for the mating season, I just didn't want to keep the aggressive one penned up by himself his whole life....I'd rather let him go.
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by