Drake attacking other ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Irukanji, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Irukanji

Irukanji Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2011
    So we have this big, white, drake(he is *huge*). Recently(past day or two) he has been attacking the "baby" ducks(by baby I mean maybe 4-5 month old ducks, age is unsure as they came with the house, but they weren't that big when we moved in). It's roughly mid-winter if that helps. It only really happens when they are being fed, he will come down and bully the other male, and kind of push the 2 young ducks away from the food so he and his 3 females can eat, but if he walks away and he sees them starting to eat again he will fly over and harass them again(????).

Any advice will help. If it doesn't fix itself soon mum(perhaps jokingly) said he would be stuffed with oranges, if you catch my drift [​IMG]

http://i52.tinypic.com/1628ad4.jpg

^Picture of the swarm of ducks:)p)

Big white one in the middle is the drake, black one to the left and white one far right close to the water are the "babys". The 3 white ones are the females and the brown one is the other male.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  2. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    all birds have a pecking order, sometimes roles change and it looks violent, as long as no real harm is being done i wouldnt worry about it. it might help though to spread the feed out. if there are different locations to eat the bully wont be able chase them away from all the food plots if he wants to eat himself. good luck

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, unfortunately this may not resolve itself. Your babies are reaching maturity, and the drake is noticing that he's about to have competition. Male ducks don't like other male ducks unless they were raised with them (even then it's iffy) or there are plenty of females to go around (five or six each, although I am having success with two very tight-knit boys who were raised together and only three females each--six girls total).

You will probably have to re-home some drakes, or separate them into smaller groups with only one male in each group. [​IMG] Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is a very common and unfortunate fact we all face--nature provides more drakes than are safe in a domestic setting.

4. Irukanji

Jul 13, 2011
    Owell, I'm pretty sure he is the drakes son, and the big brown one is unknown. Wait and see what time does I guess.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If it is mid-winter there, it is just the start of breeding season. Your drake is staking out his claim to the ducks.

I've never had my drakes commit actually violence on each other. Lots of flapping and posturing and occasionally a bit of feather pulling but it is mostly sound and fury.

I suggest that you put out 3 food sources, separated as well as you can manage for the size of your duck area. Your dominant drake can not control 3 food sources all at the same time. Put out separate watering areas, too.

6. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    great minds think alike i guess

7. Irukanji

Jul 13, 2011
    Seperate watering areas? They live in a 40x40 meter farm dam [​IMG]

Its only happened recently so I'll take your thoughts that he is just being a jerk because he wants to make babies. I guess after the eggs have been laid/hatched he should calm down a bit?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by