Drake being bullied

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kmlady518, Mar 2, 2014.

1. kmlady518

kmlady518 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2013
    Cleveland ohio
    I have an all drake flock of 3. It will be almost a year since I got them as babies. Within the last two days one of my boys is all scruffy and his neck feathers are being pulled out he has a bald spot. He also has a bald spot under his wing. The other two drakes look completely fine. It seems as if both of them are bullying the one. Its so bad he runs away from the other two and sits alone in one corner of the pen. He doesnt even run when I pick him up. I know your supposed to seperate the bully but if I seperate two out of three im worried the bullied wont be able to keep warm. I live in ohio and its still cold. Suggestions please.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Day length and testosterone levels are increasing. The bullying and attempts at breeding will increase unless he is separated from the others.

1 person likes this.
  3. kmlady518

Mar 25, 2013
    Cleveland ohio
    So I seperated my two bully ducks. They are inside the main pen inside a dog kennel. My boy that was being bullied seems to be acting strange still. I dont know if he is just weak from non stop attacks or if its something more serious. He isnt moving a whole lot and he is drinking. I gave him peas earlier and ate those. I dont know if hes cold because he doesnt have the others to keep warm. Maybe im just paranoid. He lets me just pick him up not too much fuss and lets me hold him. Has anyone else experienced this with the bullied member of their flock?

4. Vickers58

Vickers58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    I
    I am dealing with the exact sw thing but i only have two drakes and one is terribly aggressive and I am curious to see how long this will last. With today's bad weather, the bully was put in a dog crate in the coop just so the submissive one could have a break..., how long will this last??

5. kmlady518

Mar 25, 2013
    Cleveland ohio
    I hope it doesn't last too long I don't want to do this all spring. I'm just worried that when I take the 2 out of the dog crate the pecking order will be the same because the bullied drake still alone.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd switch put bullied drake in with one of the other ones and keep switching AS long as they are not messing with him while he is with either of them. Or keep the worse offender separate from the other 2 for at least a week when he cannot see them at all, then try putting him back that may stir up the pecking order enough but I tell you those hormones just can get the best of them so rotating maybe something you have to do until mating season is over.

7. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    X2

8. Vickers58

Vickers58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Dallas, tx
    I've been wanting to separate our mallard drake from the flock because of his incredible bullying and violent behavior. He recently is this mate, and I've
    Been hesitant to let him be all alone... But he has the other 4 terrified! Has isolation worked for anyone else?

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am currently keeping Bean in his own suite for a few hours at a time. In our case, I am able to make a divider from a puppy pen, so I can set it up so he can nestle in between his two favorite girls but not be on top of them.

So it's not violence, it's - uhm- amorosity. But still, little Hazel was starting to look like she had received a little too much attention.

And Romy's having egg troubles, and I don't want him on top of her all the time, either.

I think Miss Lydia keeps at least one of her drakes in his own room at night during mating season. I think.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by