Drake Cayuga..is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PGRanch, Dec 12, 2012.

1. PGRanch

PGRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Northern California
    Over the last 2 weeks, I noticed that my drake cayuga has a very fat chest sometimes. I have picked him up many times to make sure he isn't going to die but it always goes away. No hardness, no lumps, no abnormalities. It is not always fat, it does go away and come back. I was watching them today and it came and went a few times within about 10 minutes.

I believe that it is his way of showing off but I can't find any literature that backs me up. Others think he is deformed.

Thoughts?

Here is a photo with it

[​IMG]

2. littlebluefarm

littlebluefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    do you mean the lump under the neck/breast?

3. PGRanch

Jul 2, 2012
    Northern California
    Yes. I think its just him inflating it but I am no expert.

4. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    probably just his crop ducks like to gorge themselves when they eat

5. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    does it get larger after he eats?

6. PGRanch

Jul 2, 2012
    Northern California
    I am sure it does.

This goes away when I pick him up. Completely goes away.

7. littlebluefarm

littlebluefarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    hmm maybe some air in the skin?? they sometimes get that too...but it kinda looks like a crop

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runner girls, especially one in particular, gets this look from time to time. I think it's related to their eating. I wonder if you could give them some probiotics in case there's a mild digestive imbalance inflating his tummy.

I just found an article on ducks dot org that explains waterfowl digestive systems. What we may call the crop on a duck is actually an expandable part of the esophagus. That's where the duck stores its "to go" meals. [​IMG] And another expanding-contracting part of the digestive system is the gizzard. Apparently the gizzard gets larger when the duck eats more hard and crunchy food. The gizzard is where the grit goes to be used to "chew."

9. CayugaLover

CayugaLover The Duck Whisperer

it's perfetly normal, no worries! it happens to my female cayuga all the time.

10. mohawkbrian

mohawkbrian Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    its food in his crop. He will eat alot and then save it in his crop. This why he poos when he goes to sleep because there is still food in his system all throughout the night. If you look in the morning it won't be there. When you hold him it could just be that you are shoving the foood inside him or he's swallowing it. It's perfectly normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by