Drake chasing his babies - any advice?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dorsetducks, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Dorsetducks

Dorsetducks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2015
    England.
    I've had 6 duckling raised by their mother, 4 have now gone to their new home and I have kept 2, they are now nearly 6 weeks old.

I have integrated mother and ducklings with the two other ducks I have (a male and female, both parents to one of the remaining ducklings).

The trouble is the drake keeps chasing the ducklings, he isn't being aggressive as such, just constantly chasing them and of course they are afraid of him.

Does anyone have advice on this? Will this stop at some point? You can't really tell ducks to behave so I don't know what to do, I just feel sorry for the ducklings. They sleep separately at night with their mother still as I am afraid he might attack then and they won't be able to get away from him.

I'd just like to see them all getting on during the day and I'm not sure how I should be approaching this.

Thank you!

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    You'll want to keep them separate from the drake until the ducklings are as big as the adults. I would separate the drake from them again for now and try to introduce them again later when they're a little older. They need to be big enough to defend themselves.

3. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Ditto. Separation at this time is really important.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by