Drake chasing Rooster

enoryz

Songster
Apr 6, 2017
Larose, Louisiana
SO I have a 1yr old Buff Brahma and a Drake Pekin less than a year. The drake chases my rooster around. Probably started about 3 weeks ago. At first it was cute but now it's starting to bother me so I usually stop him when I'm there. Yesterday I noticed that the drake grabs the rooster on it's back and tries to force him down. Is the drake trying to get on top and mate with the rooster thinking he is a duck? How can I stop this behavior without separating them? I really don't have the room to separate them. I have a pair of pekins and 15 chickens. I haven't noticed the drake chase any of the others. I also don't have the room for anymore ducks.

Welcome to the wonderful world of young male ducks!

Honestly, there's not much you can do that you CAN do other than getting rid of the problem. He needs more females. But it needs to stop now because a drake can seriously hurt a chicken, even kill them. They're just not made the same way...

The pullets are only 3 mths old right now. All he does is scare them away when they are close. I'll just keep an eye on those 2 for now. I don't understand why the rooster doesn't fight back or try to make him stop. All he does is run. He is a big rooster. I would think he would defend himself. He defending the flock against a hawk the other day. So why not this duck. I guess like you said the wonderful world of ducks and chickens.

Back
Top Bottom