DRAKE CRISIS!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckstruck, Feb 25, 2017.

1. More ducks!

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Give him away!

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Duckstruck

Duckstruck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    Currently, I have 6 ducks: three buff hens, two pekin hens, and one pekin drake. The drake has always been a little rough on the hens when mating, but now I think it's getting out of hand. He's done a deal on one of the pekin hens in particular, causing bleeding and scabbing to the back of her head. He's also picked up a habit of chasing one of the buff hens just about every day, running her off into the coop while the others free-range and, if he gets a hold of her, begins to bite the back of her head for no reason, not even to mate.

I don't know what to do! I've really been thinking about getting two more pekin hens this May to balance out his overmating, but my family says that we should just give him away to a good home. I care for him just as much as my other ducks and I purchased them as pets. Is there any advice for what I should do? I've separated him in a big dog cage and let him out under my watch.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If he is going after only 2 ducks and being hateful seems getting 2 more females may not do much to change his attitude towards these 2 he has been chasing and injuring. I'd give him his own space and when your there let a few ducks be with him rotate them through all but the 2 that need to recover.If that doesn't work then separate him till breeding season is over. The girls will appreciate it.

3. Duckstruck

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    I just thought, since the only ones really being harmed were ones of his kind, that he needed more females to mate with. It was a suggestion from a friend of mine who's raised many chickens, but I don't know if it is the right solution.

So, do you suggest that I construct a permanent little area for him to stay? We have a chicken coop that's almost done being constructed and, since we'll be getting chickens in April, we could keep him in there in the free time? I estimate that it'll take another week or two to finish.

The drake seems to mate year round, so will this out-of-the-ordinary behavior end once breeding season has passed? They are housed in a spacious coop and run, so do drakes just not do well in confinement?

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hello,
    As aggressive as it looks to you?.....sorry it is normal breeding behaviour to Ducks.....You do not need to sell Him, unless you can not handle the process of them breeding?

Cheers!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You need to keep your females safe and under less stress but like Chickens really says drakes can be rough and mating is hard on females yes get more females but you may have to keep him or these 2 he is zeroing in on separate from him. I don't let my drakes get to the point they have made wounds on the necks of their females, and thankfully as long as I have kept ducks it has never gotten to that point some drakes are just more aggressive. Maybe put the 2 being abused together and give them time away from him but where everyone can still see each other and see how he behaves with the ones left. If he begins being aggressive not just in mating but at other times you may have to make some serious decisions. But yes if you have a chance to add more females do so but introduce them slowly to the rest of the flock so they all have a chance to get to know each other in other words don't just put them all together and expect bliss. These 2 new girls will be looked upon as outsiders.
    @Duckstruck

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  6. Duckstruck

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    In the end, I would like to keep my drake because I'd feel bad separating him from the ducks he knows and sending him off to another flock... The problem is, though, my family thinks that it would save money and be more convenient to give him to a friend of ours who has a farm with domestic ducks and a lake (although they have a pekin drake). I don't want him to fight their drake and/or hurt their ducks... I'm considering taking him over there and seeing how it goes and, if all is good, letting him be.

Regardless, he will continuously be rough with them, and its not just in mating season. The other ducks are fine, but only two ducks have conflict with him. Currently, One is limping with a scabbed head and the other can't walk (unsure if it is because of him or not). I don't know if this is because of how big he is, but nonetheless, wouldn't this situation just happen again with additional ducks, or will it balance out the mating?

I've personally saved up some money and have the supplies for ducklings. If we did end up getting more females, what hatchery would you suggest? I would need to get them ASAP so my drake doesn't need to be penned up for long.

7. Duckstruck

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    @chickens really , I hate to see my females left with scabbed heads. One even has bled on her head from mating with the drake. His behavior is harmful and precautions have to be made to prevent further harm, since open wounds can lead to infection. So, if this is merely the normal process than yes, I should give him away.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  8. Duckstruck

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    To make the issue worse, the drake brutally crippled one of the females a few weeks ago; fracturing her side, dislocating her leg, leaving her panting in pain and unable to walk. After taking her to the vet, nothing could fix the damage he had done from mating, since he is massive compared to her. Right after learning what he did, we sent him to live on a farm where he'd have geese, a drake, goats, pigs, and turkeys to keep him accompanied. Since then, I've seen pictures of him getting along with everyone and gladly eating aside them. He's happy there.

Sadly, after moving him away, we had to humanely euthanize her to end her suffering and permanent disability. Although it all was very hard to do, I had to think about giving everyone quality of life, either it be the abusive drake, the wounded female, or the rest of the flock. By giving the drake to a farmer I knew and trusted, I spared the other ducks from future harm.

9. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Wow how sad for your poor girl[​IMG] Glad you found him a better place where he cant hurt anyone! I bet the rest are glad he is gone!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  10. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    Oh no! I'm so sorry for the loss of your hen..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by