Drake & ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by un-named, Jul 9, 2011.

1. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    If and when my broody call hen hatches, how will the drake (the only drake) react to the ducklings? Will he try to hurt them? If so, will mamma step in and [​IMG] him a good one?

2. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Im not sure what would happen, depends on the drake. I have heard peoples drakes killing duckling, but my drake helps take care of the ducklings and the ducklings love him!

3. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

Normally I think people pen/keep the drakes away from the broodie hen while shes sitting & when they hatch. I eventually separated my drakes from the broodie so the drakes couldn't keep trying to mate with her while sitting. After she hatched the babies a couple had gotten threw the fence(only 2 days old) to the drakes pen, & I seen the drake grab a baby by it's head and start shaking it with his mouth. It was horrible, I yelled for him to let go as i ran over to him & he let it go so the baby ran back to the mom.(it wasn't hurt) Another time when the babies were 3 weeks old, I let all the ducks out to free range & i noticed the drake start to chase /run the babies off away from their mom. She just Quacked loud, never really did anything. I since then have heard that the drakes can/will kill the babies. So in my opinion... you should NOT Trust the Drakes around the babies. ~Julie~

4. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    I kept my baby away from my drake until she was old enough to be outside of her own, about 3.5-4 weeks. I kept slowly introducing them, by supervised outside play time, or putting the baby in the pen but locked in a kennel. At first my drake didnt like her, but the only time I saw possible signs of dangerous side effects was when they were together in the baby pool. My drake would display sexual signs, and tried to push her underwater a couple of times, and bite her neck, and flap his wings. But hasnt yet tried to mount. I made sure the water wasnt too deep so she could still stand. Now they have no issues, and if he starts harassing her in the pool she just uses the steps and gets out. Outside of the pool, he is really great with her, letting her eat first, leads her to the food and water bowl, protects her, and even taught her to beg at the back door for treats. They have become very close, and I only have the two of them.

5. duckopedia

duckopedia Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    The drake will try to kill them, I'd be careful

6. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Quote:Welcome, and thanks for the input. They all free range, but i do have a big pen they can go in. Kinda hope she doesn't hatch any.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    From what I've read (we have an all-girl club right now), just watch carefully. Some drakes are good, some are deadly. No way to know until you see for yourself. Good for you, not assuming that everything will be okay without your intervention!

And, now to join "the club" outside. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by