Drake falling over and wet feathers

Cluckcottage1995

Hatching
May 12, 2023
Hi there,
First time posting and looking for some advice on my lovely Aylesbury drake. A few days ago we were away for the day and left him and his hen in their coop for a few hours together (lots of foxes around here!) We have done this before and no issues as there's plenty of room, bedding and water etc but when we let them out we noticed he was falling around an awful lot and couldn't hold himself up properly.

We've been monitoring him for a few days now and he's eating g, foraging and everything normal in the paddock we have set out for them but still occasionally falls over and can't get up, his feathers are also staying quite wet and dirty and his crop looks quite puffed out.

Any idea what it could be? Our hen is doing fantastically so we're not sure what is up with George the drake!

Have you felt his crop in the morning to make sure that ot's emptying out? And have you noticed a bad smell on his breath?

Have you felt his crop in the morning to make sure that ot's emptying out? And have you noticed a bad smell on his breath?
I've been massaging his crop a few times a day for him to see if it's impacted, he does seem to hold himself up taller afterwards! No bad breath but I will check again later to be 100% :)

My guess would be impacted crop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
You may find this helpful! Are you offering grit in their diet?
Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it :) they don't have grit at the moment but they free range around a very large paddock, I might pick up some grit and coconut oil today and see if it helps him. Would this be the cause of him falling over and not being able to clean himself too do you think?

Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it :) they don't have grit at the moment but they free range around a very large paddock, I might pick up some grit and coconut oil today and see if it helps him. Would this be the cause of him falling over and not being able to clean himself too do you think?
Honestly, I'm really not completely sure. I've never had to deal either of these things before! But if his falling over and not being able to clean himself started after he started having the crop issues, then I'd say probably so.

Honestly, I'm really not completely sure. I've never had to deal either of these things before! But if his falling over and not being able to clean himself started after he started having the crop issues, then I'd say probably so.
No worries thank you for your advice it's much appreciated :) I've got him separated at the moment for a little bit of peace and quiet, and have massaged his crop a few times and given him a few drops of olive oil to help things move through, he's in great form otherwise!

Back
Top Bottom