1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drake Feather???? Sexing Pekin Ducks (VIDEO)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by foxchasr, Jun 28, 2011.

1. foxchasr

foxchasr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out if anyone can determine if one of my ~6 month old Pekin ducks is a male or a female. I'm pretty sure about one of them, but not sure about the other. I got them both at the same time, one appears to already have his drake feather, the other one I can't tell. Please take a moment and see if you can tell. The duck with the light bill is a male in my opinion, not sure about the duck with the dark bill. Thanks!

2. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    It looks to me like the one with a light bill is a male and the darker bill is female

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    The voice is the best way to tell males from females. I didn't hear any QUACK. Just the typical male wua wua noises. You might have 2 males. I had 2 and only one had a drake feather for a long time. I think the other one's got pulled out but did finally grow back in.

4. therisingers

therisingers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2012
    Ozarks of Missouri
    What is a "drake feather". We have a HUGE Pekin duck and we THINK it's a male and we also have a female Mallard! The chick day guy said they were both Pekin's but she is definitely a Mallard and a female. We would like to know how to tell the difference but that seems to be the million dollar question....If we go by the "quack" we would know that SHE is female (which we already know because of her coloring) and he isn't quacking at all yet....But he's HUGE and has a nice temperament. He's almost got all of his feathers and is a little over a month old. Any suggestions? Sharlene

5. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    The "drake feather" is a curled feather on the tail
    This is my drake, Pete
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. PetesMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    And one looks like a male (lighter bill) and the other a female.....can't hear their "quack" though...if its loud then its a female

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY

Seriously, can I barrow Pete for about a month, just so I can look at him... Oh and introduce him to my lovely pekin female Sketchy? Jeeze, I love him!

8. PetesMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    If we weren't states away LOL He's my grandchampion duck :) Well WAS the idiot got into a tiff with our Muscovy and his drake feather is no more...maybe after he molts it will come back?? lol

9. cskotek

cskotek Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm, Petesmom other then pete wanting your one duck alot... did you have any problems with him being aggressive towards any other ducks?? The two pekins i have seem to not want to socialize with anything else including me. And what bothered me is that tonight when i had them in their cages, the one hopped over the side and started going after my babies!!! And i cant have that... any suggestions as to why this may be happening.... They grew up with my already adult runners and now its all changed....

10. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY

How old are the Pekins? Male or female? My guess would be a dominance or "pecking order" thing, or maybe they have the breeding season itch going on... I'm no expert, but...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by