Drake Feather

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duck15, Jul 13, 2011.

1. duck15

duck15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    When will pekin ducks FULLY have drake feather the exact date [​IMG])

2. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    They are all different. Some get it right after their 1st molt, and so it's not noticed for a while later. Also if you have multiple ducks it could get plucked out. My drake just got his feather about a week ago and he is 4 months old. But like I said, there isn't an exact time because they are all different. Some drakes dont get the feather at all. Sry, I know it sucks not getting definitive answers.

3. duck15

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    mine is already 6 month and im not sure if it is a girl or a boy its voice is kind of down

4. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    If you pick it up, it will either rasp or quack. I have a male Pekin, and he never made too much noise. But I have a baby Pekin just now finding a quack I am positive it's a girl. It is hard to voice sex when u have nothing to compare it to. Well 6 months if it's a girl you will probably get an egg soon lol

5. duck15

Jul 12, 2011
    Philippines Makati
    my duck is 6 months and i think its a male but he doesnt have drake feather maybe it got remove so will it grow back? and when?

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Mine just turned 4 months old and he already has a drake feather. It has been there for at least a week now.
    It might depend on the bird though. Some say 6 months, but that is probably because they go through a molt (juvenile feathers into adult feathers) early on. They might grow one early like mine did, but some people might miss it if they molt early. That would explain why most people don't notice it until they are 6 months old.

7. GreatPyrLover

GreatPyrLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC
    Mine just turned 4 months too and he already has his drake feather...it came after the first molt...looked like a hughe pillow fight happened in my yard [​IMG] You can see it a little in this pic...he is the one with the light beak and the female has the dark beak....I am so glad that I ended up with a male and female...he is quite a bit bigger too.

[​IMG]

8. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    I have 2 12 wek pekins that look the same to me. Can someone tell me more about the quack/rasp? At this point Idk but which is which? Will possibly post some pics if I can...do pekin males generally have lighter beaks?

9. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    my drake just went through his 3rd molt and this time he didn't get his feather.

10. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    duck #1
    [​IMG]

duck #2
    [​IMG]

what do ya'll think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by