drake feathers?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mynameiserin, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mynameiserin

mynameiserin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Upstate NY
    What month do ducks start to show their drake feathers.... if they have them of course. Because my babies are about two months old and are just about done growing, I think they are anyways.... but I also believe my older ducks had them by two months... maybe not though that was a year ago so I don't remember. lol.

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

At 2 months they have just finished growing in their teenage feathers. You will see them molt again into their adult feathers THEN their drake feathers will apear if they are drakes. Your looking about 2 more months yet. You should be able to tell bynow what you have. females quack males do not;

3. mynameiserin

Mar 17, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:Thank you, I've been dying to know. I don't know why I can't wait... But They all seem to be quacking but it's hard to know because there are a few that I don't always see who is making noise when lol. I guess I have to wait two more months. :p

4. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    The easiest way to tell who is making the noise is catching them and taking them somewhere where they cant see the others. They will quack (female) or make a raspy noise (male).

5. mynameiserin

Mar 17, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:I may have to try that tomorrow :]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by