1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drake fertility / eclipse plumage

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Senna95, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Does anyone know if drakes in eclipse plumage are still fertile?

I just got some ducks that I've been waiting for for a long time, and was hoping to still hatch some eggs from them this year. They're all in their eclipse plumage, and I know it's late in the season. I generally stop setting eggs by the end of May, or early June at the latest.

Another question: How long after separating the ducks from the flock should I wait before I can be sure that the eggs are "pure"? I know that for chickens it can be up to 2 weeks, but I haven't found much information on ducks.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    My drake certainly were very fertile over the last few months. I have only had to take two eggs out of the bator in the last few months ( in Australia here- so now in winter. ) My boys nearly have their full colour back- a few more weeks and they will be back to looking their stunning best. My 3 lots of eggs put into the bator were all fertile- 24 in all. I usually leave it two weeks before collecting eggs from recently separated breeders. I will sometimes still set the eggs in that two week period- but wont keep the babies myself for breeding from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by