Drake flew away and my runner ducks are now super depressed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sjm123456, Oct 14, 2016.

1. sjm123456

sjm123456 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2016
    Idaho
    So one of my mallards had 12 babies and we let 11 of them go but kept one of the males because our runner ducks had befriended him plus my other drake is crippled and we wanted another male to protect our 4 females. I didn't bother to clip his wings because I never considered him to be one of "my ducks" since we never bonded and I wanted to give him freedom. Well 2 days ago I saw him fly away while taking care of my bunnies and ever since my 2 runner ducks have been screeching and frantically looking for him and running around. They are really upset and was wondering if anyone knew how to deal with this

2. sjm123456

May 18, 2016
    Idaho
    They also have not been eating since

3. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    They haven't been eating for several days? That's worrisome. Can you bribe them with special food they like? I'm sorry they're so upset, they must really have bonded with him. I haven't experienced this with my ducks, but I hope yours settle down soon.

1 person likes this.
  4. sjm123456

May 18, 2016
    Idaho
    I have tried giving them corn witch is there favorite but they don't eat it and continue to frantically run around and screech. Im really worried about them and my neighbor said she will call the police if we don't get them to shut up soon, we have never had an issue with our 5 ducks being loud before.

5. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    @Miss Lydia
    @Amiga
    @casportpony
    @RavynFallen

I'm trying to remember the people I've seen on here that have lots of experience with ducks. I know these four people do, hopefully they'll chime in and have some advice. I feel very sorry for your ducks being so distressed.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry your drake flew away and now the females are distraught. How about your other drake are these 2 Runners in the same pen or area as he? I have not experienced this before so other than possibly closing them all up together in their house for a few days with food and water to see if they settle down and that may keep them from being as loud to disturb the neighbor. Are the rest of your ducks a close knit flock?that should help them get over this.. I rehomed a drake a couple years ago and kept his 2 females and they integrated into the rest of the flock fine but it did take some time.

1 person likes this.
  7. sjm123456

May 18, 2016
    Idaho
    My other Drake, Daffy, has had spinal injury for about 6 months after getting in a fight with 2 ducks that flew in our yard. He cant keep his balance and one time I found him half dead floating in our small pond which is why he now lives inside. (We did take him to the vet 6 times and they just told us he has permanently damaged nerves but he is NOT in pain) I do let him out while supervised for about 3 hours a day and give him a warm swim in our bath tub. He has always been a very aggressive duck so whenever the runner ducks come near he just bites them. And my 2 female mallards also don't like the poor runner ducks and usually chase them away when they get near. The only duck that like the runner ducks was the drake that flew away. The 2 runner ducks do get along with each other since they grew up together.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That makes it hard. I really don't know how you can handle this other than putting the 2 Runners where they can see a mirror that may give them some security and comfort. Looking at themselves may help.

9. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    How long had you had the drake who flew away?

My Runners are more nervous and high strung than my other ducks. I had to separate the two drakes for awhile, and the females didn't know what to do without them. The other ducks didn't even notice or care, but the female Runners ran amuck in a panic not having their leader. It wasn't as bad as your ducks, probably because mine get along fine with my other ducks. I think Miss Lydia's suggestion of a mirror is a good idea, it may make them feel like they're with more ducks.

1 person likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are two ducks.

What is their living arrangement?

Type of shelter, size, any other animals, feeding schedule, age, etc.

It could be that there are predators nearby - if they are giving the alarm call, it's because something is not right.

I would bring them into a sheltered area - even a utility room (there are two ducks, maybe total 7 pounds of duck, they are small) for a day or two. See if they settle down. If they settle down when they are in a secure shelter, I would say likely the issue is a predator close by and they feel insecure.

Next possibility would be hunger. Do they have free choice food all day, what is the food? How much are they eating?

I agree an unbreakable mirror might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by