Drake going for hen

Featherlight-

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2021
I have both chickens and ducks in the same pen *can’t keep them seperate for afew reasons* for ducks there’s three hens and a drake and all the chickens are hens as we’ve had many issues with roosters and alot of random baby chickens found in places they normally never lay.

Recently the drake has been rather fond of one specific hen always nibbling on her feathers and following her everywhere, he’s not aggressive, nowhere near as rough as the last drake we had, but still not a good match anatomically, and can be a bit overzealous to the duck hens to say the least, she’s not interested at all, the only one she recognises as the flock leader is me so hopefully she shouldn’t let him do anything but I’m just trying to see if there’s a way to keep him off without having to separate him for the season.

He isn’t an aggressive drake unlike most, and has enough hens to stop him from getting aggressive, I’ve had other drakes before so there’s definitely a difference in their disposition, we can’t house him anywhere else and he’s been there with them for ages without issue I know the risks but I’ve had more issues from chook on chook violence.

Would it be possible to get her one of those high vis vests or something to put him off for the season? There’s foxes and such around and we haven’t got any other secure areas for them at the moment.
Maybe. I appreciate your conundrum. I personally wouldn't chance it. Is there a way you can divide your run? I do that when I have birds to integrate. I just run a length of welded wire as a divider. Garden fence would work, too. But that's only if your set up will allow.

Why don't you put the drake in there? He should not be with any chickens. He will just change his focus on another one.
This is why they cannot be in with chickens.

1634468192807.png

Image found here, but beware there are more unique animal penises pictured. https://memolition.com/2014/06/23/wacky-willies-the-strangest-genitals-in-the-animal-kingdom/

He isn’t an aggressive drake unlike most, and has enough hens to stop him from getting aggressive, I’ve had other drakes before so there’s definitely a difference in their disposition, we can’t house him anywhere else and he’s been there with them for ages without issue I know the risks but I’ve had more issues from chook on chook violence.

Would it be possible to get her one of those high vis vests or something to put him off for the season? There’s foxes and such around and we haven’t got any other secure areas for them at the moment.

Well, that and their freakish penises can impale hens.
Yea it's all spikey an stuff.

Maybe, yeah I was actually just talking to someone who said they had a duck doing that they said they had one duck 🦆 and got rid of it because of this, gave it away. They said it was a giant duck tho forgot the breed name... Anyway... Sorry but I do not have the answer U seek for such a situation if it was me I'd seperate them for a bit.

Found an old coop that can only really hold one chook, we have the ducks trying to hatch some eggs currently so I’ll be putting the hen in the old coop so she can have a break from his advances and safe from anything too adventurous.
I guess there really isn’t much of a choice even if he is rather good at waiting for consent for a duck.

Why don't you put the drake in there? He should not be with any chickens. He will just change his focus on another one.
This is why they cannot be in with chickens.

View attachment 2868694
Image found here, but beware there are more unique animal penises pictured. https://memolition.com/2014/06/23/wacky-willies-the-strangest-genitals-in-the-animal-kingdom/
Uh… I didn’t really need the image 😅 I know about the anatomy issues, he was only after one chicken and after having her out of the pen for a day he let her be and hasn’t gone after anyone but the ducks since.

Back
Top Bottom