Drake has a high pitch squeal???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bernie131, Nov 16, 2019.

1. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
    My drake is 18 mths old and he is half Pekin and half Mallard. He is starting to mount the other 2 females and he also started this dip of his head followed by a half second very high pitched squeal. He does this at all different times, when alone, in the pool, with the others, while grooming, swimming out in the yard, playing with his toys,...I do not see any constant that it could be related too,..does anybody else's ducks do this and if so do you know what it means?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    I have no idea. Are you certain it's a drake? My males are hoarse compared to the girls. Girls you can hear across the road and the drakes are so quiet compared. Females will mount others too, not just da boys. They cray.

3. Huntergatherr

Huntergatherr Chirping

Nov 20, 2017
    Hulmeville, PA
    Sounds like a girl to me! Our lady is named Donald Trump Duck, and she gets squeaky!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

My Runner drakes do this. I think it's hilarious!!

thumper650, bernie131 and Duckfarmer1 like this.
  5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    One of mine do too but I have idea which one or if it is just one!

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

Both my Runner drakes do it sometimes at the same time. There’s probably a name for this too.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  7. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
    I think I heard my female do it also, I only have 3 ducks and I spend time with them so I have seen them do it many times,..Today my drake did it while I was playing with them and his sister the female did it also but didn't arch her back and raise her head like my drake does and he does it several times a day and it is so cool to watch and hear

Duckfarmer1 and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Show offs lol

bernie131 likes this.
  9. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    I have a black. Swedish that for months I couldn’t tell what sex....and..the head bobbing too..my hubby..who doesn’t pay as much attention said..all the ducks do that...but, his head definitely goes faster and right and left more..I’ve decided he’s a Drake due to much watching...mostly hiss pitch is low, but at times it has me guessing...kind of makes it fun...but he is definitely not aggressive...very laid back duck..hmmm?

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: