Drake has flaky skin on bill???

DancingWthDucks

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2016
Cumbria, UK
My 5 month old Welsh Harlequin drake bill has started to go dry and flaky over the last couple of days. Humphery is fed on a mix of wheat and Allen and Page duck breeder pellets (a high quality, organic feed). What could have caused this, and is there anything that I can do to help him, suck as applying Vaseline or coconut oil? I am showing him in a months time at the National Poultry Show so I'd like him to be in top condition.

First off, your duck is beautiful! Secondly, my mallards were having the same problem a few weeks ago. I found that mine were scraping their bills on the fencing of their pen, which was causing the flaking around the bill. I used coconut oil and kept them outside the pen for a few days.
Thirdly, if yours isn't scraping his beak off the fence like mine were, it could be that it is too dry. I know with the weather being colder it is more likely for their beaks to dry out. If that is the case just keep an eye on it. Put some coconut oil on it and make sure he has a pool to dip his beak in from time to time.
Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Last edited:
First off, your duck is beautiful! Secondly, my mallards were having the same problem a few weeks ago. I found that mine were scraping their bills on the fencing of their pen, which was causing the flaking around the bill. I used coconut oil and kept them outside the pen for a few days.  
Thirdly, if yours isn't scraping his beak off the fence like mine were, it could be that it is too dry. I know with the weather being colder it is more likely for their beaks to dry out. If that is the case just keep an eye on it. Put some coconut oil on it and make sure he has a pool to dip his beak in from time to time. 
Hope this helps and good luck!!! 

Thank you for the reply! I will try rubbing a little coconut oil onto his bill and see if that works :)

Back
Top Bottom