Drake help Needed!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Janay, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Janay

Janay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    I ordered 5 Khakis and 3 Pekins back in May--all females. Well, as sometimes is the case, they are not all females. Today I realized that I have 1 Khaki drake. So my question is... What should I do? Give him away, get another Khaki drake? This is my first time with ducks, so any advice is appreciated.
    Also, I know nothing about ducks mating and the hatching process. But would that be an option, to get more ducklings by these Khakis? Again, any help is welcome, as I am very inexperienced! :)
    Thank you!

2. DUCKOBSESSED

DUCKOBSESSED Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    So you have 1 drake and 7 ducks? If so you could keep him. The eggs could be fertile but you can still eat them. You do not need to get another drake. If you keep him you could breed and get more ducklings.

3. Janay

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    Hmmm, so if we wanted to eat the duck eggs, we could. And if we wanted more ducklings, we wouldn't eat them and instead let the ducks incubate them? Thank you for your help.

Anyone else??

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't think I can add anything to that - sounds like a good ratio. You just want to watch and make sure he does not overdo it with any favorites. But that is not always the case, just something to look out for. And if he gets too busy, you want to watch for phallus prolapse, and that does not happen very often from what I have read here.

5. Janay

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    Amiga, thank you for your input. What is the cause of phallus prolapse? Too much mating?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Often that is the case, yes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by