Drake/Hen Ratio

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckking, Apr 3, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    We have 1 drake and 4 hens, but would love to get 2 more females. That would mean 6 hens and 1 drake. Would he be in heaven or just exhausted? Would the fertility rate decrease? Not sure how that works in duckdom [​IMG]

The drake is a Rouen. We have 3 mallards and a Rouen and want to get a Pekin and WH.

Thanks!

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    It is possible for a drake to cover 6 hens, but it depends on the drake to whether or not fertility will be the same with that many. If you get a high fertility with four hens then the fertility should be similar.

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    You are fine. I have one drake with 8 hens. Fertility runs near 100%. Reality is a hen will retain sperm and can produce fertile eggs for up to 2 weeks after mating. Your drake will be in heaven. Plus he can control more hens, which they really love. Fertility will go done once you go for more then 10 hens per drake.

4. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks everyone. Guess we'll have a couple more ducklings coming!

How long should I wait to put them together...I am guessing the standard 12-15 weeks? I would have them outside where they can see each other for a while, but separated so there would not be any possibility of anyone getting hurt. I have new chicks too, so they would be in with them before we integrated the whole gang.

5. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    3-4 months is when I introduce ducks to my flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by