Drake is seriously ill - no idea what's going on!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Alexandra33, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

A few days ago, one of my two Mallard drakes started to act strangely; fluffed up head, stiff neck, walking VERY slowly, and sleeping alone in the coop rather than going out to free-range with the flock. I wasn't around much yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to check up on him. [​IMG] After somehow managing to make it outside this morning, he bedded down to nap while the others had fun foraging. That's when I decided to scoop him up and bring him inside to keep a close eye on his condition. I was shocked to find that he weighed nothing more than a feather and felt too weak to run away from me (he's a very wild, unfriendly bird). Poor guy is nothing but skin and bones.[​IMG]Honestly, judging by lack of movement and a lifeless look in his eyes, I didn't think he would live for more than a few hours, but he began holding his head up after I wrapped him up in warm blanket. I haven't a clue as to what's wrong, so that's where I could really use some help. I would love to save him if at all possible. A very important detail I almost left out - this duck (as well as four other drakes) was hit by a vehicle on Nov. 6, causing some injuries to his leg and severe shock that nearly killed him. He came so close to a full recovery....it's heartbreaking that this has set him back again. Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]
    His chest looks a little funny to me.
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @Alexandra33 does it feel like he has fluid built up in his chest? Keep him in and keep him warm but not hot. Will he eat and drink? I'd get some good poultry vitamins Poultry Nutri drench is a real good one and can be given straight into the mouth right inside not shot down the throat. It can also be put into their drinking water. But given straight works faster. He could have an internal injury that didn't heal and maybe infection just hard to say is a vet an option? Bless his heart I sure hope he makes it after all he has been through and you too.

3. Alexandra33

I felt around, and it didn't seem excessively squishy to me. I'll go out tomorrow and compare the other ducks' crop/chest area to his, just to be sure. He's drinking, and his feed was slightly wet, indicating he's at least somewhat interested in it. That's wonderful, I've been making good use of Nutri-drench ever since he came in this morning! [​IMG] He refused to swallow it when I opened his bill and squirted some down there, but it's acceptable mixed into water. [​IMG] Not sure if my parents would be open to the idea of vet care.....[​IMG] Thank you, I hope so, too! [​IMG] He's a fighter.

~Alex

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might at least have a stool sample taken to a vet - they can have a lab test it for parasites and possibly other things.

Getting calories into him is vital, and keeping him hydrated.

Remember that syringe or tube feeding must be done correctly to avoid sending stuff into the lungs. There is a Go Team Tube Feeding thread, you can search the archive if you need details.

Could be parasites, could be viral, fungal, bacterial . . . there is an illness called aspergillosis, it's a fungal disease, I would expct respiratory symptoms from that, though....

5. Alexandra33

Thank you so much for all the information, Amiga. [​IMG] But sadly, Sterling passed away early this morning. [​IMG] I'm down to one drake now, (the one with the broken wing) and I've made it very clear to him that he's not allowed to die on me. [​IMG]

~Alex

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Perhaps you could get a necropsy... in any case, [​IMG]

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I' m so sorry. [​IMG] Just a guess but I bet being hit by a car caused internal injuries that caused his passing.

8. DancingWthDucks

DancingWthDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2016
    Cumbria, UK
    I'm so so sorry for your loss :hugs :hit

I hope that your other drake pulls through.

9. Alexandra33

Unfortunately, he got buried when I wasn't around, so I didn't have a chance to bring it up. [​IMG] Thank you! [​IMG]

Thanks so much. [​IMG][​IMG] I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Thanks. [​IMG] He's in near-perfect health at the moment, thank goodness.

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by