Drake lost mate - how can I get him eating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mandtc, Jan 19, 2019.

1. mandtc

mandtc Chirping

Sep 12, 2014
    Australia
    I lost my Pekin hen to reproductive issues earlier this week. She and her Husband (Pekin drake) were bonded inseparably.
    I am currently hand raising some ducklings who will become his new flock when they are old enough.
    In the interim, what suggestions do you have to get him to eat! And want to live! He currently lives alongside his parents, who are also a bonded pair. But can not live with them, as he competes with his dad constantly!
    I’m beside myself! He won’t eat and barely goes near his pond! He is also not tame, so does not respond to human contact as something soothing.
    I’ve tried peas, Tomato (his favorite) fancy lettuce, he gets a home made mash soup and barely touches it.
    Does anyone have and suggestions?

2. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Free Ranging

Nov 2, 2018
    How long since she died?
    Animals grieve like humans do... he is probs still grieving and in shock

Miss Lydia and Ribh like this.
  3. mandtc

mandtc Chirping

Sep 12, 2014
    Australia
    Today is day 5. I am absolutely positive he is grieving! He has been by her side since the day they hatched! The parents are grieving also! They are quieter and eating less than usual.
    But he has had nothing but a tiny nibble of lettuce this whole time! I just don’t want him to go downhill and get sick!

4. Butterscotchbitesfinger

Butterscotchbitesfinger Free Ranging

Nov 2, 2018
    My rooster was the same after his hen Sandy died they were the same inseparable, another one of my hens was the same and wouldn’t accept the other roosters, the duck may be a little put out, for a while

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

If your where the temps aren’t cold maybe put the ducklings out with him inside a dog crate or temp pen protected from strong winds. Maybe having some company to take his mind off his loss would help. Bless his heart:hugs

mandtc, casportpony and Jpat like this.
  6. Jpat

Jpat Crowing

Apr 30, 2018
    Nova scotia
    If he hasnt eaten in 5 days in near emergency now

Will he eat if you sit by him?

I can usualy trick mine to eat when i take them in the house in the bath tub, The running water gets them excited and usualy eat
    But mine are used to it mabye yours arent

My birbs cant resist
    Mealworms
    Corn Nibblets
    Lettuce
    Peas

its so sad :(

mandtc, bluemerle, Texag87 and 3 others like this.
  7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello. He definitely won't die. You can hang a mirror where he sleeps and one by the feed and water. He will not starve himself to death.

mandtc likes this.
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Do you have a scale you can weigh him on? If he were mine I would get a baseline weight ASAP, then re-weigh every 2-3 days. If he is actually losing weight this will allow you to address the issue before he loses too much weight. I use a food scale with some or a bathroom scale with others.

mandtc and Miss Lydia like this.
  9. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Try meal worms. Mine got really quiet when my Sunny died. Within a couple days I ran and got 2 female runners, everyone got normal again.

10. Texag87

Texag87 Songster

Sep 22, 2018
    Aggieland
    I am still new but what worked when our Rou was attacked and she would not eat was peas in the bathtub. A couple days of that and she went back to eating feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: