drake mallard behavior

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gamechicken98, Aug 10, 2013.

1. gamechicken98

gamechicken98 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2012
    I got 4 mallards 1 drake and 3 hens i think they are around 4 months old but he has kind of paired up with two of the hens but he kind of keeps the other hen ran off a bit she might come around a little bit and I have a little pool for them they used to all get in it but there is also a thing I had for them when they were younger and she will get in it and the will get in the other one but he chases her out of it to so if anybody know whats up with him please let me know thanks.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    And your positive the one being ostracized is a duck and not a drake?

3. gamechicken98

May 3, 2012
    yes and they will hang together when they are in the yard but in the coop pen he will keep her run off from the pool.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's so strange because usually with a drake the more the merrier, here anyway. Maybe go to the Mallard thread and see if anyone has any ideas why this is happening, I know they can have favorites but ...

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    That is strange, but ducks are a lot like people and they will like some ducks and not others. Only the ducks know why they don't like that one.

6. gamechicken98

May 3, 2012
    It has stoped for today I think she didn't want to be one of his hens then but whatever it was I think it worked its self out.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's great news, it's always nice when there's peace in the flock[​IMG]

8. gamechicken98

May 3, 2012
    yes it was and Miss Lydia do you still have your black australorps how do you like them I have 12 hens only three old enough to lay, read they were the best egg layers they havent proved to me yet though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by