Drake Manhood

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PhoenixOfNyx, Nov 12, 2014.

1. PhoenixOfNyx

PhoenixOfNyx Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Okay so he's sitting on a towel on my lap and preening himself when I heard him fart or poop I didn't know which at the time, and I went to move him and cover up his dukey but noticed something hanging and I twisted my arms around to see his stuff just out and about like it owned the place. Splish pulled it back up inside himself and it was a light pink like it's healthy. So basically my question is: do ducks do like horses, when they get relaxed and comfy just let it all hang out?? Or is this something I should be worried about?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    I've heard young drakes will sometimes spend a fair amount of time letting it all hang out, lol.

As long as he can retract it, there shouldn't be an issue.

If it comes out every time he poops, though, or regularly anyway during a poop, that could indicate a predisposition to penile prolapse, which would need probably treating or amputating.

Best wishes.

1 person likes this.
  3. TracyLovesDucks

TracyLovesDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I believe the penis plops out when pressure is placed on a certain area around a drake's vent. That's why you see a drake adjusting so much while mating with a female, he's trying to get her tail or bottom to press right on that spot. It's possible that he pushed that spot with his bill while preening (I saw one of my drakes do this... I almost completely panicked because I thought he prolapsed, then realized he was fine... it happened just that once).

But like Chooks4life said, just make sure the penis retracts, otherwise it could mean prolapse and that is very serious.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by