1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drake Muscovy shunned & depressed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mskupcake, May 1, 2016.

1. mskupcake

mskupcake Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2015
    Owingsville ky
    So I've had a pair of Muscovies for almost a year now.... They have been together since I saved them from a duck farmer. Other ducks have come & gone along the way, some have stayed around but these 2 were inseparable, Sophie (the Drake) has also always been the alpha over all the ducks. Of course they mated & were on their 2nd set of babies when she was sadly hit by a car. At that time I had Duckie, Sophie & Baxter (another younger male) Sophie did not do well with the loss of Duckie. He grieved himself sick. Almost 2 months went by & he was doing better, he just was stuck to me like glue.
    I decided to get some females of his own kind in hopes to raise his spirits...
    Well 3 females later Baxter has taken over the coop & the ladies! Sophie has been completely shunned. I am devastated. He is now more depressed then b4 & won't even come to me at all. I do not know what to do! Please someone help!

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Any way to separate them and put one female with Sophie?

3. mskupcake

mskupcake Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2015
    Owingsville ky
    I did try that but she wouldn't mate with him. Even tried a different female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by