Drake not feeling well

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by un-named543, Feb 4, 2012.

1. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    Grey call drake is breathing heavy... I can hear some wheezing when I hold him close. He has lost interest in swimming, but still follows the group and will self groom.
    He feels very light and is a little off balance. he looks top heavy and holds his tail up while his crop is closer to the ground. He struggles weakly and quacks weakly when I catch him. Eyes and nose are clear, feathers look good; the top ones are fluffed out though.
    He is a young adult. His poop is a small amount & soft, barely formed.
    Temp out lately is in the upper twenties...lower 30's.
    No other duck or chickens have such symptoms. They free range and have cracked corn and pellets.
    Duck folks, any ideas? I hope I posted this in the right section; I thought I might get better results here.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My first guess is respiratory infection that needs antibiotics ASAP. If you have a vet, I'd get to the vet.

There are topics here on what kind of antibiotics to use and how to administer them. You might also try the emergencies forum for specific advice.

Meantime, get the duck in where it's warm, safe and quiet, start giving vitamins and/or apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon per gallon of water.

3. un-named543

un-named543 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2012
    SE Minnesota
    Thanks... have the stuff now. Have Poly-Vi-Sol, and iron is not listed where it shows the list of vitamins/percentages, but it does have ferrous sulfate listed as the 7th ingredient as a vitamin B-12 stbalizer. Need to find out if it is Ok to give or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by