Drake or Duck???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kovalciks Chickens, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Kovalciks Chickens

Kovalciks Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    Okay I am a first timer for ducks and have had chickens my whole life. I would like to know what have sex and breed wise. But idk what should take pics of? can someone tell me what I need to take some pics of and I will certainly have em up

2. Redwood Violet

Redwood Violet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2010
    Humboldt County, CA
    Side and front shots. Drakes will sound different; they have a vocalization that is raspy and not really quacky. Froggy may be another word for it. Drakes also have a curly-que on the end of their tales if they're your average mature domestic variety. Females quack and chatter a lot. They sound like your stereotypical duck and don't have that curly tail. The drakes are sometimes more flashy, like mallards, which will have bright green heads if they are males. Some, like pekins, are a little tricky at a distance, but often drakes have brighter bills and feet. And that curly tail and raspy voice. And as a side note, if you have chickens still, keep their food and water sparkling clean or separate from the ducks. I've run into lots of folks who've had their ducks kill their chickens with dirty water. I had both for a while but it was a constant clean water battle and finally gave my chickens to my duckless mother. [​IMG]

3. Kovalciks Chickens

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    o yes my little guy/gal has his/her own little hut away from my chickens but i still think he/she is lonely and i should buy him or her a friend [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  4. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Quote:Definitely. Ducks are flock animals and will be happier with company.

5. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:He/she would definetly like another duck to be with, but for now why not keep it with the chickens? He/she won't care that they are chickens....

6. Kovalciks Chickens

Aug 25, 2009
    Richmond, Michigan
    well ferdenand (its name no matter if its a guy or gal) is already getting messy and I kinda dont wanna clean up after my chickens more often. This way he can also be outside

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by