Drake or Hen????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sue S, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    Opinions Please!!! My 1 1/2 year old drake ( Larr Bear) is being a bully again :mad:. He has always bullied the ducklings their 3 1/2 months old now, but the bullying stopped when I rescued an injured duckling ( BB), My drake attacked BB shortly after I got him & BB fought back after that everything was fine, I was able to put all the ducks together in the same pen at night, but within the last few days my drake is back to bullying one of the babies again, it's so bad that I have to separate them at night, again. My question is the duckling a drake or hen. I think it's a drake but it doesn't have the coloring that my other drake ducklings do. And he isn't bullying them. So, is it a drake & Larr Bear is being territorial or a hen that he's trying to mate with?????:idunno drake or hen.jpg

Claires Poultry likes this.
  2. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Crossing the Road

I'm sorry your drake is causing you problems.
    The duck in the pic definitely looks like a drake to me, because of the blue on it's wing.

3. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    My females have a blue spot on their wings also, that's why I'm unsure if the duck is a he or she!!! All of my other male ducklings have green showing on their heads?!!

4. Claires Poultry

Hmm..... That's interesting. Can you post some pics of your females and males for comparison?

5. quackiemama

quackiemama Free Ranging

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Does it quack or make a frog noise yet?

6. Kholts

Kholts Songster

Feb 11, 2019
    Canada
    Does it quack loudly or still peep/rasp?

Quack=female
    Peep/rasp= male

7. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    Here is a pic of Olivia the mother of the ducklings female duck.jpg

8. Sue S

Sue S Songster

Mar 7, 2018
    Pa
    Honestly, it's hard for me to tell which ones are quacking!!! When all 9 ducks are out swimming/free ranging, they all make noise!!!!

9. Claires Poultry

Her wings don't look as blue as the duck in your first post.

10. Claires Poultry

What you have to do so that you can tell them apart, is catch each duck individually, take it away from the other ducks and listen for what noise it makes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: