Drake or Hen?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Jun 14, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    A friend gave me what we thought was a drake.It is a lot bigger than my hen. I have never seen it mount the hen. But I have seen a gander attempt to mount it. Her eggs are infertile. I've seen the "drake" sitting in/on the nest. I get an aweful lot of eggs from just 1 hen. Is this really a hen? it has no curly tail feathers. I have pics but don't know how to add them to this post!?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Can you upload them to Picasa or imageshack.us? then just post a link to them here.

3. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    To put an image on your post just upload it to your uploads and when it is done uploading copy and paste the second thing of text and paste it in you post. It will be alot easier to tell if we had a picture. [​IMG]

4. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:The pictures are downloaded from my camera to my computer. I just don't know how to download to a post. I tried to right click, copy, and paste to the post, but it won't paste.[​IMG]

5. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:The pictures are downloaded from my camera to my computer. I just don't know how to download to a post. I tried to right click, copy, and paste to the post, but it won't paste.[​IMG]

Okay, I discovered the upload link at the top menu. I uploaded the picture to this site. The duck in question is on the far right. the black & white mixed breed. [​IMG]e.

6. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    How old? What kind of quack does it have? Loud or Raspy? From the pics and not knowing the age, I would say female. It doesnt have the drake feathers and if you look at the part of the stomache right between her legs it is really droopy looking. That is what all my females look like. My males have flatter stomaches.

7. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:I don't know the age. I haven't noticed it's quack. What should I look for loud or raspy. what sounds like what? But I think it is a hen also. Will a drake ever sit on a next? I've never had a drake do that. I'm also getting 2 sizes of eggs.
    BTW~Thanks for your help.[​IMG]

8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    hen!!!!!!

9. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    It would help you if you listened to it. If it has a softer raspy quack it's a boy. If it has a loud strong quack then it's a girl. Look at the tail feathers to see if some of the feathers has even the slightest curl. I have Blue Swedish ducks and the male has a green bill and my other girls have one yellow and black bill and the other a black one. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

10. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Is it the lack duck we are talking about here?
    If so, it looks JUST like my swedish/rouen crosses. I have two, both hens. One is larger than the other and has a green head, but no curly tail feather, a loud quack, and of course lays eggs. So a hen for sure.
    But I've seen some drakes like that that are HUGE. And the drakes usually have and unusually large head.

I would say that yours is a hen. : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by