Drake Pekins Aggressive

Aug 27, 2019
Hi All! We have two four-month old drake Pekin’s. We do not have any females. They live with our chickens, we were told they could all live together as long as they have lots of space.

One of the drakes is being aggressive to one hen. Chases her around. Any one else have this problem? Wondering if they are at sexual maturity and wanting to mate? We were thinking of getting female Pekins...not sure if this is a good idea b/c I’ve read drakes can live as bachelors. Thanks any input! :)

Does it look like they’re trying to mate ? Or does it look like he’s chasing her off ?
I had a drake like this, we tried separating him but he never snapped out of it.
I don’t advise anyone to keep chickens and ducks together as they’re just so different. It can be dangerous to keep drakes around hens as hens are not supposed to be penetrated.

Last edited:
They are getting close to sexual maturity at that age and hormones are crazy. You'll have to keep an eye on it. It may be temporary or it may be a permanent personality change. Having drakes with chickens without duck hens can be dangerous as a drake can kill a chicken. What is "lot's of space?" Mine can hang out together in the yard at times but I think if they shared the same coop there would be serious problems. Free range over several acres with multiple options for food, water, and shelter is lot's of space, a small fenced suburban yard with a small shared coop may not cut it.

Does it look like they’re trying to mate ? Or does it look like he’s chasing her off ?
I had a drake like this, we tried separating him but he never snapped out of it.
I don’t advise anyone to keep chickens and ducks together as they’re just so different. It can be dangerous to keep drakes around hens as hens are not supposed to be penetrated.

He is chasing her off but it’s only the one hen that he does this too. The other ones he doesn’t bother. Thank you for your input!!! Appreciate it!

Drakes obviously become sexually active and should not be housed with chickens at all. Drakes have a penis and get aggressive. Separate pens are needed and getting rid of a Drake and having
hens with him is better or not having any Drakes and only Hens is way better. :frow
Ok..thank you for your input. We don’t want to get rid of the drakes so we will separate them ASAP!

They are getting close to sexual maturity at that age and hormones are crazy. You'll have to keep an eye on it. It may be temporary or it may be a permanent personality change. Having drakes with chickens without duck hens can be dangerous as a drake can kill a chicken. What is "lot's of space?" Mine can hang out together in the yard at times but I think if they shared the same coop there would be serious problems. Free range over several acres with multiple options for food, water, and shelter is lot's of space, a small fenced suburban yard with a small shared coop may not cut it.
We have 20 acres so they have space...obviously we don’t let them roam the whole thing. thanks so much for advice!!! We will make some changes

Sounds like you certainly have space, so hopefully they can get it sorted out! I think if you provide a separate sleeping area and then multiple food and water stations (if you don't already) it will help some. I feel like I see the most aggression around food and water with my ducks.

We are in the process of getting them separated...just a couple days to go. But I did set up 4 feeding and two watering stations plus the ducks have their water pool so this is helping already. It’s cold today so all the hens are in their coop..this helps. Ha ha! ☺️ Thanks for your reply

Back
Top Bottom