Drake penis question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crj, Jul 6, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Yes, I have a question about duck penis's. I have 2 male runner ducks and there penis doesn't seem to go all the way in there bodies. I have yet to catch them and really get a good look at what the problem may be. You see, I am just now putting pressure on my broken ankle so chasing a duck in it's pen is still tough.

I noticed the other day a duck seemed to be dragging his penis. It's as if he couldn't put it away. I figured he'd work on it. Well..... today I noticed another drake with the same problem. If my feet didn't hurt so bad I'd be out there now with a flashlight. Anyway, I doubt very much that it's penis is suppose to be black. I'm not sure if this is dirt or what. Like I said I haven't been able to get a good look.

I don't know if I'm crazy (most people might think so but they don't have ducks, chickens, turkeys, geese, etc) because I've never dealt with anything like this before. Have you? Have you ever heard of anything like this? I hope it's a leaf stuck to there butts but I highly doubt it. Yes, I will try and get a picture. Runner ducks are not the easiest birds to handle...... lol. They are afraid of everything and then some. BTW, they are just now starting to mate with the females. Could this be a tactic to attract a mate???? Naahhhh, the drakes seem to just grab a girl like a rooster grabs a hen.

I can just picture some of you laughing like crazy but it's just one of those things one needs to know..... lol.

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I'm no help with duck penis's BUT there was a thread on here last year I think that was about this very thing. I will see if I can find it.

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:Thank you MandyH. Looks to be a serious problem. I am not having any luck with my birds this year. It's one serious problem after another and of course all different. I'm hoping this can be fixed but to keep the two separated will not be easy. I already have 2 in isoluation becasue of a dog attack. One has a injured leg and can't walk and his mate several days later got attacked but she is ok. They are together. I will have to figure out a pen for the runners.

To be continued...........

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Good luck. And I hope your foot gets better soon.

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sounds like it's prolapsed. Many people here have had drakes with that problem and there are several threads about it. If possible, a vet should be consulted. It's my understanding that if it's caught early, it can be treated without surgery. But, if it's really bad, then it would have to have surgery as it can get infected and have other problems. Hopefully, it's just dirty and not infected. Separating him from the other ducks might be a good idea so that he's not trying to mate with anyone. Good luck.

6. Sean S.

Sean S. Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Sidney, NY
    Been there this spring with a black runner drake, you should separate them if possible because ducks like worms![​IMG] We took him to the vet and they put it back and stitched his vent to hold it in. It only lasted for about five days, then it fell out again! Vet told us it was only a first attempt and may not hold, but it was worth a try. If it comes back out cut the stitch and bring him back for the dreaded snip! After that we were good but had to be in isolation for about a month. He did not like that a bit! After that he is now back with the flock, just like nothing ever happened, if you know what I mean! Good luck with two!

7. 1234duck

1234duck Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] @ Sean S.}}}}separate b/c ducks like worms. lmao ~My first thought was, wow ya have yourself some Well in Doubt drakes [​IMG] I could Not even imagine trying to explain that to my hubby or telling him the duck needs to go to the vet. (he's just not on the same page as me about my ducks, he thinks I'm a little quacked) lol But on a serious note.... I am very sorry to hear that there is a serious problem. I hope they can be helped with a speedy recovery. [​IMG] Good luck, ~Julie~

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by