1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Drake probs, mating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HortenseCumberbatch, Oct 11, 2013.

1. HortenseCumberbatch

HortenseCumberbatch Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Hi There.
    I have a young Muscovy drake and he's just come of age so to speak. Occasionally he gets overly aggressive and chases my Pekin drake around and assumes the mating position with him. Is that normal duck dominance behavior and inevitable when you have more than one drake? I find it distressing.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It is distressing but totally normal. He is holding him down showing him he is boss. I see it quite often during mating season if son challenges dad. About the only thing you can do is give them plenty of space and girls or separate during breeding season.

3. HortenseCumberbatch

Jun 15, 2011
    Thanks Miss Lydia, It helps to know it's normal. I go out their flapping my arms ans shouting "I'M IN CHARGE!" and it seems to help. I am keeping them separated for now. Do you keep them separated at night too? I keep them penned together and it seems to go ok. I really just want to get rid of this Muscovy. I find him big and scary. He hisses at me and sticks up his pompadour.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They really are sweet hearts honest. But they do like to be in charge. Once you get rid of him if you do, The Pekin will be in charge. Keeping them separate will be the best thing if you feel he is going to hurt your Pekin. Is the Muscovy constantly after the Pekin? If so I'd keep them separate day ad night.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  5. HortenseCumberbatch

Jun 15, 2011
    I am going to let them sort out their differences without interfering (unless I'm worried someone will be injured) and see how it goes. It really does distress me but not as much now that I know ducks do this. Thanks for your advice.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think that's best, I use to get so upset when my drakes would go at each other, but now I stand and watch and don't interfere unless someone is getting hurt. But mostly it's to me Sumo wrestling more than actual fighting. so hopefully things will settle down soon with your 2 boys. [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by