Drake quacks, Female peeps...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peepsandquacks, May 19, 2011.

1. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Ok, I think they are confused. My drake is a quack monster (no longer peeps) but my female doesnt quack at all, just peeps/chirps. Do you think they sexed them wrong? They are 4 weeks old yesterday....

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, if your drake is a quacker, then it must be a quacker [​IMG]

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, sounds like a sexing mix-up. Quacks are a female trait and if you're hearing it at 4 weeks, you've got a girl. Voice sexing is highly reliable. However, at four weeks it's possible the other one just hasn't started quacking YET, so it could be a girl too. Or, maybe you were confused about which was marked male and while female? Or they got mixed up along the way somehow?

At any rate, I don't think it's the ducks who are confused. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. peepsandquacks

peepsandquacks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Well, the one that was wearing a brown band was always very skittish (and still is) and that one is the 'female' that doesnt quack. My 'male' that does quack was wearing a purple band and has always been super friendly. hmmm. Maybe I just have transgendered ducks?

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Ha ha! Maybe! lol

Check with the hatchery or feed store--sometimes the bands mean different things. Brown may have meant female, and purple (surprise, lol) might mean male. I'm not sure friendliness is much of a measure on gender... I would still go back to the quack. [​IMG]

6. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    hehe these ducks are just questioning gender roles I think [​IMG]

I feel like females are soooo much more skittish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by