Drake quacks, Female peeps...

peepsandquacks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Ok, I think they are confused. My drake is a quack monster (no longer peeps) but my female doesnt quack at all, just peeps/chirps. Do you think they sexed them wrong? They are 4 weeks old yesterday....

Well, if your drake is a quacker, then it must be a quacker
lol.png

Yeah, sounds like a sexing mix-up. Quacks are a female trait and if you're hearing it at 4 weeks, you've got a girl. Voice sexing is highly reliable. However, at four weeks it's possible the other one just hasn't started quacking YET, so it could be a girl too. Or, maybe you were confused about which was marked male and while female? Or they got mixed up along the way somehow?

At any rate, I don't think it's the ducks who are confused.
tongue.png

big_smile.png

Well, the one that was wearing a brown band was always very skittish (and still is) and that one is the 'female' that doesnt quack. My 'male' that does quack was wearing a purple band and has always been super friendly. hmmm. Maybe I just have transgendered ducks?

Ha ha! Maybe! lol

Check with the hatchery or feed store--sometimes the bands mean different things. Brown may have meant female, and purple (surprise, lol) might mean male. I'm not sure friendliness is much of a measure on gender... I would still go back to the quack.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom