Drake sex change!?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Wolf-Kim, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I rescued a Khaki Campbell drake and had him for several months.. I even went and bought him a flock of fellow ducks. Now all of a sudden "Walmart" is getting brown/black laced feathers!! He is getting female plumage!!

Anyone had this happen before? I've heard of peahens getting peacock trains, but a drake becoming a hen?

-Kim

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Don't drakes only have their male feathering during breeding season? At least mallards do.. not sure about domestic ones. I'd like to know.

3. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    are you sure that he was a he to began with? was there a drake feather? if he loosing his colors, that's normal. after mating season is over the drakes will return to "female" plumage. any pics?

4. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    yeah drakes only have the male feathers during spring and mating season, i thought it was to attract males, mine are starting to loose theres right now and are starting to look like female mallards.

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    OHhhhhhh okay.

We rescued the duck in January and he has the drake feather and drake voice. He still has the drake voice and the curl, just female feathers..

I knew that some males loose their male plumage, but I didn't know Khaki's do. We got him in January and this is the first time he's changed colors? So would he be fully male colored in January and half female colored now? That is a TON of change, to be colored female and then male again completely by January.

This is a pic of him when I first caught him.

[​IMG]

I'll get some pics. [​IMG]

-Kim

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by