drake sounds/female sounds?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by silkielover92, Aug 9, 2011.

1. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    pSo I have a pekin duck that quacks really loud, the breeder said that only male ducks quack loud. The same place where I got my runner said females are more quiet and "raspy" when they sound off....now I'm reading its vice-versa? They are still to young to have a curl on their tail so I can't figure out which one is wich. [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I posted some links to some videos of males and females on your other thread... Be careful what some people tell you- sadly they will tell you things like that just so they can offload some extra males. But in this case...the person may end up wondering next spring why none of her raspy voiced females are laying eggs. [​IMG]

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The females are the loud ones.

Also, part of the year, in the spring when they are in their fancy plumage, your males will have a little curly feather on either side of their tail. You'll tell the difference by voice a lot sooner than by the curl on the tail. They don't get the curl on their first set of feathers. Most won't have the curl during the part of the year that they are in eclipse plumage.

With my Pekins, the males are noticeably heavier and faster growing than the females, if that helps you.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    A breeder told you that the males quack loud? Hmmmmmmm. Yes, quite the opposite. The girls have loud quacks (very unladylike) and the males have a cool raspy quack. And then there is that cute little curly tail feather.

5. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    yep, it's the girls that are loud... my hubby says the males all sound like Marlon Brando in The Godfather... like they're trying to quack through a mouth full of cotton. but the girls, now, they'll wake you up at night even when they're half an acre away.

6. silkielover92

silkielover92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Eatonville Washington
    Thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by