drake to duck ratio

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZoeS95423, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Okay, so currently I have 22 ducks, 13 adults, and 9 babies.
    I have 2 mature drakes, 1 pekin , and one buff crested.
    I have 3 female pekins, the drake only hangs out with 2 of them, the other female tries to hang out but sometimes just does her own thing.
    I have a cayuga female, and a black swedish female which is the mother to the babies, but she only has four, and im raising 3 of hers plus 2 i hatched.

I have at least 3 female khakis I know for sure, when I pick them up to see how they quack this weekend, I plan on only keeping 1 male and 2 females.
    so will it be okay to have 3 drakes and 7 females?
    They all hang out in their own groups,
    the crested only hangs out with my cayuga and swedish,
    my pekins only hang out with eachother,
    and my khakis only hang out with eachother.

I plan on selling all my babies, except my runners babies I hatched, so im hoping at least one of them is a female, and then one of my swedish babies, only a female though.

So will this be okay?

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i'm not sure what the actual ratio should be. i think it all depends on the personality and how aggressive your drakes are. You can always just keep the ducks you want then rehome a drake if things get out of hand. i personally have all girls. We ended up with a Blue Swedish drake when i ordered my ducklings. But got tired of watching my poor girls running and screaming when he chased them down. Then when one of my girls went lame after he mated her in the pool, i thought, it's not worth it. So he got voted off the island and my ladies are much happier now. But, that was just my situation. You need to see what works for you and your flock. Goood luck. [​IMG]

3. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Well currently, my drakes dont even give each other the time of day.
    They just kind of hang out, no arguements or anything.
    So Hopefully I can keep one male khaki, and out of nine babies I should have at least 1 more female. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by